I Wanna Learn Keyboard.

Bill-Murray

Like Electric Light Orchestra, Deep Purple, The Doors. I've been playing guitar for aobut 2 and a half years and am pretty good at that, but want to broaden my horizon. I don't really want to take lessons, maybe like a tutorial site. I know a broad GENERAL music theory, major scale construction, chord construction, some modes, etc. Any help?? Thanks, and I really am committed to this. It's not just a passing whim.

if you have a solid start on scales and chord formation, keep it up. That'll get you further ont he keyboard than anything. Especially if you want to be able to improvise.

My advise.. start your own schedule of practicing scales and working on hand coordination. You can pick up a primer somewhere for beginning piano as it's important to learn the proper methods and hand positions.. but once you're past that, it's all the same. guitar, piano, whatever - if it's a polyphonic instrument then all rules of chord theory apply.

You might pick up some books on jazz improv, blues style piano, etc.. things that are more geared toward the self-taught and improv crowd.

I played piano for several years and also have not played it in several years since I started bass. I thought it was a fairly easy instrument to learn and had a LOT less trouble with piano than I did with guitar or bass. I also set up a strict practice routine on piano that included playing scales up and down the keys for 20 minutes before I would practice any music. I devoted 1 hour a day to it and within a few months was fairly proficient.......I was actually good enough to garner several compliments from my wife who has been playing since she was 4 (let's just say it's over 30 years so I don't get in too much trouble!).

I'd agree with mled' and get a decent book on chords and scales and practice it up! It is a fun instrument and IMO a lot easier to play than most if you practice.

or get lessons. everyone i run into is afraid of lessons because of the money issue. 20 bucks a week for one lesson isn't that much at all, especially on yourself. A lot of people, if not everyone, agrees that learing theory on piano is much more beneficial than guitar or bass.

-jamie

My sister has been playing piano for the past 12-15 years so I know a little bit about the piano. Just remember, your left hand is bass and your right hand treble. I've been trying to learn a few songs and the one thig that I found to be the biggest pain in the (insert word of choice here) was playing one thing on my left hand and another on my right hand. Just start out with easy stuff and work your way up.

Hope that helps

I actually found the piano a lot more difficult to pick up that the guitar.. I started piano when I was 4 playing the good ol' classical stuff so I suppose that could have added to the difficulty.. 20 years on, I'm still playing the piano and absolutely loving it.. Can't say it's better than a guitar, can't say it's worse..

Once you're familiar with the chords and their inversions, as well as the scales in the different keys, the rest is pretty much practice.. Unless you're intending to go the classical route.. Also, scales (not just the straight off ionian) help a lot in building finger strength and dexterity.. Not to mention coordination..