Guitar Building Loser

(don't care what anyone says...oil finishes blow chunks...they don't last and the "tonal superiority" is all complete B.S.)

Regular tung oil, yes, it's thin and it just seeps in, but not polimerized oils, like Tru Oil. That stuff can build fairly thick and buff out to a nice shine if you know what you're doing. I believe Toddler's guitar that just won GOTM is Tru Oiled.

like i said.i don't care what anyone says.i have experience with true oil,tung oil,boiled lindseed oil,shellac,rattlecan nitro and rattlecan polyeurethane...and all of the oil finishes,including tru oil,are very poor in the durability department.

and i won't argue with you about it.i know what i know...and everyone just wants to love it because it is easy

I don't want to start another 'oil finish' arguement either. To each his own, bro. :D

Wow, this post makes me feel tons better about my first in-progress attempt!

Keep at it buddy. If you truly love guitars (and you probably do if you decided to build your own), you will only get better!

I'm here Drak. Reading everything. I really appriciate everyones responses and encouragements. I really wasn't trying to sound like a whining wuss. But, I think I did because I was. Just feeling sorry for my self and crying in my beer as you suggested. :D

I can't stop thinking about different ideas for guitars. So I'm going to stop whining and get to work. I think if I participate a little more in the forum it will help to keep my attitude in check.

Thanks again for everyones responses

I can't stop thinking about different ideas for guitars.

That's a good sign. :D

So I'm going to stop whining and get to work. I think if I participate a little more in the forum it will help to keep my attitude in check.

That's possible, but really it's just take it one step at a time and don't expect to hit the moon with your first rocket.

Actually, you should give yourself a big pat on the back for getting as much done as you did on the first try. As I said, you sound like you're already ahead of me and where I was at that point, just keep it up, the skills are there. B)

TO THIS DAY, 10 years into this, I still have to redo stuff I screwed up now and then, and I don't beat myself up over it, I take it all in fun and laugh a lot and tell myself 'you stupid sumbich'( :D ), and just laugh it off and have another try. Don't be so hard on yourself, don't take it so seriously, and ENJOY it.

Drezdin, there is a wise Korean philosopher and luthier who frequents this forum. His name is Hyunsu. I find his luthiery and philosophy both to be inspiring. Here are a few of his "pearls" that I have saved and keep next to my work table. These are relevant to your situation.

"100 think and 1 action is good, it will decrease fail. And 1 failed is more value than 1 success. So try."

"Many making will upgrade skill.....and more understand wood, and wood's choice result...."

"I want to luthier.....it is my dream when I was 19 years old.....I think..it will be my last dream..."

"Guitar making is allways happy work...."

god that's pretty desperating you know...

i'm about to start my first guitar and i don't want it to be crap.....

i don't exactly care about the looks, but i really need it to play well! I'm not building my own neck either... I'd never get it right :D. I just need to get my bridge right!

having no experience with wood, this REALLY is scary.

anyone's first guitar where really good playing (i.e. becoming one's main guitar?)