How Does This Sound

Well concerning the trem... i should be ok... myself wont be doing that part as im not confident enough yet but i do have a luthier who lives less then a mile away who has installed many trems so ill give it to him!

Regarding the Dimarzio p/u's... a friend has just offered me a EMG 89 for a lot cheaper in price... are they any good? i havent had much experience with EMG's

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Well concerning the trem... i should be ok... myself wont be doing that part as im not confident enough yet but i do have a luthier who lives less then a mile away who has installed many trems so ill give it to him!

Regarding the Dimarzio p/u's... a friend has just offered me a EMG 89 for a lot cheaper in price... are they any good? i havent had much experience with EMG's

~~ Slain Angel ~~

i use nothing but emg pickups.yes they are good.in my opinion the best on the market for metal

EMG's are like the marmite of guitars. Ya either love em, or absolutly hate them! They don't need anything special, cept for a battery :D isn't the 89 the one that switches from single coil to humbucker? As for the normal 81/85, they're all very well if you want a metalish humbucker sound, but anything else? they're not exactly a jazz pickup B) but its all about what you want. If you want to mess with parallel/series/weird wirings, leave them well alone :D

Oh yeah, and they're kinda expensive (well here they are anyway...)

:D

EMG's are like the marmite of guitars. Ya either love em, or absolutly hate them! They don't need anything special, cept for a battery B) isn't the 89 the one that switches from single coil to humbucker? As for the normal 81/85, they're all very well if you want a metalish humbucker sound, but anything else? they're not exactly a jazz pickup :D but its all about what you want. If you want to mess with parallel/series/weird wirings, leave them well alone B)

hey im in the UK to sambo but this is from a friend who doesnt want it so i get it much cheaper :D

The 89' is active? could prove intresting

~~ Slain Angel ~

--- Update ---

Ive just read HERE about the pickup... it sounds very good... here comes the next set of questions...

How hard is it to wire an active pickup into an exsisting installation of a passive pickup?

Whats the actual difference between active and passive.. i know its a newbie question but im not enteriely sure...

Thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

EMG's are like the marmite of guitars. Ya either love em, or absolutly hate them! They don't need anything special, cept for a battery B) isn't the 89 the one that switches from single coil to humbucker? As for the normal 81/85, they're all very well if you want a metalish humbucker sound, but anything else? they're not exactly a jazz pickup :D but its all about what you want. If you want to mess with parallel/series/weird wirings, leave them well alone B)

hey im in the UK to sambo but this is from a friend who doesnt want it so i get it much cheaper :D

The 89' is active? could prove intresting

~~ Slain Angel ~

yes...all of the good emgs are active.but really the wiring is simpler than passive.no ground to mess with either.

but it MUST be wired with the pots that come with it.and it does not mesh at all with passive pickups.either go all active or all passive.

I think active pickups are higher output than most passive pickups, i think alot of EMGs are at 25k. I've also heard that active pickups can produce alot more clarity, but I think its mostly a matter of taste, I'd try them out and or get a couple more opinions bwcause I could be wrong.

I think active pickups are higher output than most passive pickups, i think alot of EMGs are at 25k. I've also heard that active pickups can produce alot more clarity, but I think its mostly a matter of taste, I'd try them out and or get a couple more opinions bwcause I could be wrong.

Ok thanks Haggardguy... anyone else got any opinions on the EMG 89' and the differences between Passive and Electronic (besides use of battery)

Also do i DEFINTITLY have to go ALL either passive or ALL Active or is there someway i can use the both

~~ Slain Angel ~~

look.if you already have one passive then stick with passive electronics.it's not the output that is different,it is the pot values needed for proper performance.i would never reccomend mixing them.

there are ways in which you could mix them...but it is not worth the trouble.

just get another good passive for the other spot and keep it simple

Mixing EMG actives with ANY passive is a real booger, although it can be done. It ain't sompthin I would look forward to, if a customer is involved. The passive preamps that you put in the guitar's control cavity to make the output similar to a fully active pickup are quite nice but most are very fussy to setup the way the player would want them. And, they are pricey. IMHO

Hey Wes thanks... well ill get the Active P/U anyway since its going on the cheap and ill save it for a future project...

i know this is old and youve already decided on pickups but on my les paul i have a dimarizo paf pro and it sounds awesome in the neck and its passive so i guees its some thing to think about.

ps in my bridge i have a super dst.

Thanks for the input but since it seems i cant have the Active without lots of hassle.. im going to go with my orignal choice of HSH with Breed and Evo from Dimarzio and a YGM

Thanks for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Loose the monkey grip idea...please!

Think of a new body shape or something...not a V!!!!....

Appologies...but the thread is called opinions/arguments...and...you didn't mention the body shape till after I mentioned the V...or lack there of...but anyway...sorry for the hi-jack.

Since the body shape hadn't been mentioned...IMHO...the monkey grip could make the instrument look like a cheap JEM copy (although I say a Kramer recently that predated the JEM) Some creative hole drilling might make an interesting variation in look, as someone suggested. Otherwise, the monkey grip is extra work, a pain to smooth and finish, immediately screams poor mans JEM, and robs valuable real estate for thing's like swirl effects....as I say though, it's IMHO!

Actually, in truth, I was just stirring up a little debate. If you are making a custom guitar, why not make a custom body shape (except a V :D ). Hell...if you like it put monkey grips all around...or perhaps holes like on a bowling ball customised to your finger spacing :D

Anyway...all in good fun...good luck with it

psw

Thanks for the input but since it seems i cant have the Active without lots of hassle.. im going to go with my orignal choice of HSH with Breed and Evo from Dimarzio and a YGM

Thanks for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I think you mean and YJM :D , and yeah, get the 89 and save it for a different project, you won't be dissapointed.

Thanks for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I think you mean and YJM :D , and yeah, get the 89 and save it for a different project, you won't be dissapointed.

:D yeh YJM... close enough i suppose lol

Ive heard great things about the YJM so should be good fun! (eventually going to get me the Yngwie Strat with scalloped frets)

~~ Slain Angel ~~

i just don't want to see you influenced by the unreasonable biases of others.

It's not an unreasonable bias, it's a completely REASONABLE response to a thread subtitled, "opinions/arguments?"

If it hadn't been solicited, I wouldn't have bothered. It's not like I'd go into a thread of someone who wants to do a Jem replica and say, "I guess Jems are OK, but I'd lose the monkey grip."

All in the context of the thread, dude.

Greg

i just don't want to see you influenced by the unreasonable biases of others.

It's not an unreasonable bias, it's a completely REASONABLE response to a thread subtitled, "opinions/arguments?"

If it hadn't been solicited, I wouldn't have bothered. It's not like I'd go into a thread of someone who wants to do a Jem replica and say, "I guess Jems are OK, but I'd lose the monkey grip."

All in the context of the thread, dude.

Greg

i have no problem with that...