• FINGERBOARD: Rosewood

• NO. OF FRETS: 24 4 Jumbo

• HARDWARE: Black

• MACHINE HEADS: Standard Die-Cast Tuners

• BRIDGE: Hard Tail – String Through Body

• PICKUPS: 1 Humbucker

• CONTROLS: Master Volume

• Monkey grip

Thats what im planning to do for my next project... any opinions would be appreciated thanks

~~ Slain Angel ~~

other than the finished neck it sounds good.

if this were my project id finish the neck in linseed oil and keep it lubed up with old E lemon oil or some thing close to it.

id also add a single coil and a tone knobs just for the single coil just for the difference in sounds.

Edited by Jera Woden

other than the finished neck it sounds good. 

if this were my project id finish the neck in linseed oil and keep it lubed up with old E lemon oil or some thing close to it.

id also add a single coil and a tone knobs just for the single coil just for the difference in sounds.

I was contemplating a second pickup but wasnt sure...if i do i will probably use a differnt Humbucker at the neck... im thinkin of using Dimarzio's but again not sure... this is all in the preliminary stages

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Dimarzio whats? There are about 22 different Dimarzio pickups, each with different windings and sounds. I'm guessing by the fact that you are into BC Richs (so am I, just to clarify) and by your username that it is a metal axe, for which I would probably suggest A D Sonic, but you really can't go wrong with a Breed or Evolution.

Sorry if my guess was wrong. :D

I agree. Oil does NOT seal the wood to moisture. What happens then, is the wood absorbs moisture on the back of the neck, causing it to expand, just a tiny bit. But since the top of the neck is sealed with the glue that holds the fingerboard on, the neck bows. I have had this problem with oiled necks.

Dimarzio whats? There are about 22 different Dimarzio pickups, each with different windings and sounds. I'm guessing by the fact that you are into BC Richs (so am I, just to clarify) and by your username that it is a metal axe, for which I would probably suggest A D Sonic, but you really can't go wrong with a Breed or Evolution.

Sorry if my guess was wrong.

No your perfectly correct lol Metal Axe in the making... i hope

My idea was to use an Evo and Breed but not sure... like you said theres a lot of variations n im not sure which one will suit best yet...

i might go one step further and have HSH with a YGM in the single place...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Loose the monkey grip idea...please!

Think of a new body shape or something...not a V!!!!....I quite like the mocking bird...here's a few things I was playing around with for a reversed shape...might not be your cup of tea...but might give you ideas.

Selection of reverse fender designs 1/2 way down

Not too pointy or you'll take an eye out or something!!! :D

pete :D

Or how about the infamous UK "The Guitar Magazine's" April fool Lightnig Bolt...the fourth of the Gibson Moderne Guitars....

I'll have to find a picture. Rick Nielson was so taken in by it he got scammed when someone made a fake!!!!

The bottom half was normal V but the top half was the normal V but reversed...the string through plate matched the design in a kind of lightning bolt...very convincing...must have cut up a perfectly good original Korina to make it!

Loose the monkey grip idea...please!

Has anyone ever had any use at all for this feature...is the guitar so heavy you're going to have to carry it around...sans case....like a suitcase! If so I suggest wheels so you can tow it about like airport luggage by it's strap!!!

and...no v's please

Perhaps ill loose the Monkey grip...

Why? Don't lose it! Just because the people here don't like it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. All the people on this website have probably made one at some time or another, or have just seen so many in there profession that they're probably sick of them. This shouldn't keep you from making something you like. And anybody that doesn't know much about guitars like some of your friends and family will think that it is a very cool design and funtional as well. So I say do it! If it turns out good enough, you can even trick some people into thinking that you have a very nice expensive guitar(not that the rg isn't nice or expensive). Do it, if that was what you wanted originally, by all means Do It! Hope it works out for you and post pics as you go! Jason

No way. I've always thought monkey grip is stupid, and it has nothing to do with any exposure to it or lack thereof.

That said, of course it IS still just a personal opinion. I think they're wacker than... er... well, something that's really quite wack indeed.

:D

Greg

Instead of a monkey grip, why not a bunch of holes through the body like Swiss cheese, and ... aw, crap. That's been done, too. Never mind. :D

LOL :D

Since asking for some opinions on this project... the monkey grip has been brought up more then anything else... and the more i htink about it... is there a practical use for it... NO not really i already have one with a monkey grip in and i STILL carry it on stage via the neck lol

Ahh i dunno i just like the look but is it worth the extra hassle

~~ Slain Angel ~~

No way.  I've always thought monkey grip is stupid, and it has nothing to do with any exposure to it or lack thereof.

That said, of course it IS still just a personal opinion.  I think they're wacker than... er... well, something that's really quite wack indeed.

:D

Greg

lol greg i used to be like that, but i must say the swirls, the bright colours, the monkey grips, and all the sort has grown on me sooo much since i decided to start building,and since ive been hangin round on this site

lol each to their own i suppose, slain, go with the grip if ya want, i would B)

luke

:D:D

lol greg i used to be like that, but i must say the swirls, the bright colours, the monkey grips, and all the sort has grown on me sooo much since i decided to start building,and since ive been hangin round on this site

lol each to their own i suppose, slain, go with the grip if ya want, i would B)

luke

:D  :D

I agree with you... i LOVE the swirls that you see on the JEMS

Im not confident enough to do a swirl finish yet... and ive now decided after much thinking that im not going to go with the monkey grip...

Also upon thinking about the Pickups ive decided to get a Breed and Evo from Dimarzio... still contemplating if i can fit a YGM in the middle

~~ Slain Angel ~~

if you want the monkey grip,use the monkey grip.who cares what these guys think YOUR guitar should look like.

it is going to be YOUR guitar..so make it how YOU want it,no matter what these other guys (who should be spending their time playing or building rather than arguing about the cosmetic appeal of your guitar)say your guitar should be.

if someone with experience building tells you "i think you should use alder instead of basswood for the body of your guitar,because it is a stronger wood for holding your trem inserts and other screws,plus it really has more tonal value(i.e. more frequencies to create a depth of sound),and costs the same money as basswood." then you should give it some thought...but cosmetic appeal is nothing that anyone but you should decide.

by the way...my example argument up there is also what i would reccomend.alder creates a fuller sounding guitar than basswood,and is more articulate.

Ahh wes... The only reason im using basswood is the place where my dad works, have some spare and it looks fairly nice... ALSO i have 2 other guitars that have basswood and they seem to be ok for me

I know that when it comes to appearance... i should go with what i like but after reading peoples arguments.. i do come to agree with them..i wouldnt use the monkey grip anyway (i dont on the one i have) and its just more hastle...

Thanks for all your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

i just don't want to see you influenced by the unreasonable biases of others.

basswood is "allright"...just use a trem with large inserts for greater strength....do NOT use those trem screws that screw directly into the wood.you want large diameter inserts like what you see on a t.o.m.(although it doesn't have to be THAT large)