Scroll Saw?

I used a scroll saw to cut out the headstock pattern... and was wondering If anyone else ever uses a scroll saw? I could have used a bandsaw.. and I'm thinking I know why everyone else does use a bandsaw... When I was cutting it out with the scroll saw.. in one of the sharp curves in my pattern.. it made a burnt mark in the wood because I didn't move it fast enough.. I've got 2 concerns now... The first one is... Is there a way to cut the headstock out with a scroll saw and not have some burn marks or should I use a bandsaw next time.. since the blade probably doesn't get as hot because it rotates around... and the scroll saw basically moves back and forth across a smaller piece of metal.. thus getting hotter....? And second, how can I bet small burn marks out of the wood.. can it be bleached out or such?

Matt

i don't even own a bandsaw, i use a scoll saw for all the cutting i don't do with my router, and i just change to the appropreate blade. but i've never had burning problems, but i always cut a little outside the lines and then sanded into the line, maybe you should do the same next time? To get the burn marks off i would suggest using some fine sand paper, 320 or 400? if it's in a tight or rounded spot just wrap it around a dowel or long drill bit and sand it like that.

Ok.. so I must really be terrible at this.. lol... why is it that when they show you how to cut out a headstock it's either a bandsaw or coping saw... and not a scroll saw... I had no idea that people used a scroll saw building guitars... I must be doing something wrong then... I know that I'm not the worlds greatest at this.. lol... So i'll take all the advice I can get.. what kinda blade for guitar shaping and what's the proper technique...

Well I guess it is because thats really what they have in their shops and use all day since the blades last a lot longer ( I have one as well so I know ).

The above was more of an opinion then anything else when it comes to choice's of saw's.

Personally I get far more control using the thinner blades then the thick bandsaw blade on the curves, Then again I cut right on the lines and do very little sanding and usually just with a sanding sponge to round off the edge's when I'm through.

My best guess at this point is if you were trying to decide which to purchase first I would go with the band saw since you can cut out bodys and necks with them in the rough stages far quicker then with one of the tiny table top scroll saw's. My mind was mostly on the headstock shapes.