Can I Contvert A..

i have a neck, this neck is a maple on maple ibanez rg170 neck i got lying around, and i have an rg570 body there as well so i was thinkin, can i convert a standard nut on an rg neck to a floyd locking nut without a whole lotta fuss?

thanks

luke

:D:D

Guest gsrguitars
i have a neck, this neck is a maple on maple ibanez rg170 neck i got lying around, and i have an rg570 body there as well so i was thinkin, can i convert a standard nut on an rg neck to a floyd locking nut without a whole lotta fuss?

thanks

luke

:D  :D

Depends if there's room. Is it a flat headstock or angled?

Worst case, you will be able to install a locking clamp which does the same - sits behind the existing nut on the headstock.

Cheers,

G

I know an ex series has a different size neck and pocket than a rg series for sure. Ive also seen a hack put a non aanj neck on an aanj body.  Driled right through the fretboard too.  OUCH  Double check your fit to be sure. Great CD by the way jehle(music and tech info). Well worth the money.

Wow, thanks! I always love to hear stuff like that. :D

The neck should be workable. Don't count on the screw holes lining up, but so long as the RG170 is an AANJ (and I think it is) they should physically go together, and the intonation should be within range. Just plan on filling and re-drilling two if not all four screw holes. Japanese RG's don't line up well with Korean ones, and the 170 is Indonesian, so it's kind of like "twice removed" from the family tree.

Guest gsrguitars

I'm no Ibanez expert - so, just in case it has been overlooked...

Regarding the neck / body combo ...Is the scale length the same on a 170 and 570?

-G

One of your biggest obstacles will be the neck pocket on the body.

If the neck can fit that without gapping and seating properly you will have an easier time of it.

Just to be safe,(unless the holes line up),dowel and redrill the neck holes.

Just be careful to watch your depth,(remember ibanez_crazy's story-yikes).

Once you have the neck in,(worst case scenario you will have to fit a block of wood in there and re-route),double-check your bridge and neck pick-up placement.

Outside of gapping your two biggest concerns will be any pitch to the neck in the pocket and the neck centering.

Not being familiar with that model-if it has a pickgaurd you may run into some lining up issues there as well.