Unfamilary Terms

Hey guys, i was just thinking about some words that i dont know what they mean. Then the idea hit me of making a glossary for unfamilary terms that we dont know the meaning of and maybe someone can come along and answer them. Like i know some people odnt know that AANJ means "all access neck joint". Personally i have no idea what chambered means. I always hear about chambered les pauls and i dont what it means.. Anyone? Also post terms that you are unfamilary with too. Lets get this thing rollin....

Personally i have no idea what chambered means. I always hear about chambered les pauls and i dont what it means.. Anyone? Also post terms that you are unfamilary with too. Lets get this thing rollin....

Chambered means they route out holes or spaces in the body, which get hidden by the cap...makes the guitar a lot lighter, monkeys with the tone a bit too. When you do that to a telecaster, it becomes a thinline.

The glossary's a fine idea...and maybe it can be cross-referenced with "alternative" spellings...just in case the real spelling is, uh, unfamilary to anyone... (sorry, man, couldn't resist :D )

I agree. I think a glossary would be a fine idea. The search function helps with this a little but a glossary would be a tremendous help for everyone, sometimes there are multiple words for one meaning, like slang words and such. So if one of the mods or admin has the time maybe it could be started and pinned. We could just use this post for an outline for it just keep adding words and definitions until there is enough to build a glossary. Great idea Duff!

Also does anyone have a good definition of a cap? It's basically a thinner piece of would that is added to the top of the body for looks, tone, or cover for routing pockets. I'm sure someone has a better definition, I'm not to good with stuff like that. Jason

great idea..add some computer terms for me would ya?  like what the hell is a blog?

they used to call them "journals" back when you could be pretty certain no one would ever read them...but with the internet, everyone suddenly got the right to expose their inner musings to the world....

since we're futuristic, 'journal' became 'log' (as in "Captain's log, stardate 2246") and since it's on the web, it became a "weblog" and since that's just too stupid a term to use in public, it became 'blog'....

great idea..add some computer terms for me would ya?  like what the hell is a blog?

they used to call them "journals" back when you could be pretty certain no one would ever read them...but with the internet, everyone suddenly got the right to expose their inner musings to the world....

since we're futuristic, 'journal' became 'log' (as in "Captain's log, stardate 2246") and since it's on the web, it became a "weblog" and since that's just too stupid a term to use in public, it became 'blog'....

thanks for the info..i really did want to know..'course being old fashioned like i am i prefer journal. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do you mean volute? I have never heard of a trem neck so I can't comment on that. A volute is some extra wood left at the point where a headstock angles from the neck, it sits basically right under the nut on the back of the neck. There are a few threads about it, heres one This thread has a couple pics of volutes . I guess thats part of what your looking for. Also there are a number of other threads about volutes. They are there to strengthen the neck, so the headstock won't break off, because the angled headstock necks can be more easily broken, they are weaker than others, but that extra piece of wood helps to prevent any breaking.

Oh well I hope that helps, and I hope thats what you were referring to. Good luck man. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

what the hell is a volate? They say to use them for trem necks... well im using a trem and i dont think i have one....

Sure, that's volute.

It's a way of beefing up the back of the headstock where it meets the neck --i.e., under the truss rod cavity.

Gibson necks used to be awful thin at that spot and very prone to snapping. The volute is a an extension of the wood beneath the truss rod adjustment cavity to make it thicker and stronger.

No doubt they suggest using this with tremelo/vibratos/whang bars/whammys because when you're pulling up in an extreme way, you're massively increasing the amount of tension pulling on the headstock.

I don't think this is an issue with Fender style necks though.

• 4 months later...
okay... ive been wondering this for a while and just never asked, what is a drop top? Is it just veneer of wood on top of a body?

the way i understand it, its a thin cap that is formed to fit an armrest, or some kind of contour, of a bady insted of carving it into the cap. I may be wrong, but im sure someone will correct me if i am