Fret lights

Rogviler

Once I was at a Doobie Brothers concert and I think it was the bassist who had these glowing red fret dots... Then I saw a kit in a catalog so you could add them to your own guitar. This was several years ago. I recently have been searching for that kit and/or an online tutorial on how they're installed, but I haven't been able to find anything at all, even the catalog isn't carrying them anymore.

It's like I woke up in the Twilight Zone. Am I just crazy? Did they exist at one time or was that a dream I had once?

Mostly what I'm wanting to know is how they're powered.

And if anyone knows- Is it possible to power one superbright LED off of just the power going into a guitar or would I burn the house down?

Thanks.

I'm doing this right now. I have to wait for a StewMac order to arrive before it's complete, but I use red LEDs powered off a 9v battery. As far as I know, you have to have a battery. I use a stereo jack for the switch. As soon as I get clear epoxy and the pot to control to LEDs blinking, I'll be done.

As far as I know, you have to have a battery.

Unless you have magic self powered LED's you do. However, I'll assume you have about 10 led's going into the neck. If you run those straight to the battery, a standard square 9v battery will last only a VERY short time considering the current drain that's goin to be on it!!!

Is it possible to power one superbright LED off of just the power going into a guitar

There is no power going into a guitar. The pickups generate the power that drives the cabs. Though there's usually a pre-amp and a power-amp between the guitar and the cabs, to make it meaningful to try and hear it. But there's no power going into the guitar.

I'm doing this right now. I have to wait for a StewMac order to arrive before it's complete, but I use red LEDs powered off a 9v battery. As far as I know, you have to have a battery. I use a stereo jack for the switch. As soon as I get clear epoxy and the pot to control to LEDs blinking, I'll be done.

How would you make it blink?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

actually you can buy self blinking leds there feylya and ratshack has had them since 2002 at least

:D my mistake. i had been up all night and obviously mis read

You could also drive a 2-color LED with a low frequency sine or triangular wave. At a low cycle rate it would alternate between red and green, but at a higher rate it would appear yellow. I think Craig Anderton used that idea as a modulation indicator on an analog chorus/delay project.

i'm just wondering how you could avoid the truss rod when lighting the dots. i'm not sure how big the leds are that are being used, but i'd guess that they are taller than the thickness of the fb. would you be routing into the neck or the back of the fb? or a little of both?

i'd love to dig in and take a crack at this. maybe i'll pick up another saga kit so if i botch it, i won't feel so bad. :D

i'd guess you could get an hour or two at full brightness with 1 9v w/10 leds, maybe?

I'll take a picture of my LED guitar neck soon. I used 5mm LEDs and they were bigger than the fretboard, but they have a lot of acrylic that can be sounded down. I just took the LEDs to my grinder until they were about the same size as the fretboard, then I just had to do a little final sanding to get them to fit almost perfect.