Laminate Neck

Hi folks I was thinking about a 3 pieces laminate neck for my next bolt on (Ibanez style neck so 14 degree tilt back and JEM profile).

I really don't like how the stripe looks in the back mainly in headstock's area (the curve it forms). What do you think of a 3 pieces of maple laminate neck? Is it possible? if yes I would like to know whay I don't see it around. I always see a walnut or wenge stripe.

thanks in advance!

Gian

This is just my opinion, but:

There are two main reasons to use a laminate neck. First, it's stiffer than a single piece neck (at least theoretically). This can be important with woods that aren't terribly stiff, like mahogany and whatnot, but with a very strong, stiff wood like maple, isn't a big deal - so maple necks raen't usually laminated for this reason. The second reason to laminate a neck is because it looks cool - and if you're using all one wood, you can't really see that it looks cool :D.

All that said, there are some 3-piece maple laminated necks out there... there are a good number of them on old RG's, I think... I've seen pictures of 80'sish Ibanez necks with 3-piece necks, anyway. I'm not really into Ibanez guitars, so I can't really tell you anything more than that.

Edited by jnewman

The reason of a laminate neck is that I don't have the proper tools to cut a 14 degree angle and do a scarf joint.

I started with this idea but I think it's better if I switch to the laminate. In this way is more easy drawn and cut the angle.

I have read that in making a 3 pcs laminate many people orientate the 2 maples with opposite grain. In this case there's the need of a stripe to separate them, I think it isn't good route the truss channel in the middle of the glue line too.

I was jus thinking in a 3 pcs of maple I would have 2 pcs in one verse and 1 pc in the other. It doesn't seem balanced to me or does it not matter? :D

Edited by gun

Orienting the grain provides stiffness in 2 dimensions. The quarter-sawn laminates (usually the two outer ones) provide stiffness to counteract the tension of the strings. The "flatsawn" piece (the center one) provides stiffness perpendicular to the two outer laminates. What is most important is the pieces that counteract the string tension or the two outer laminates. If you wish for the center laminate to have opposite grain, thats fine. If not, thats fine, too!

With a maple neck, you shouldn't have to worry about it being stiff enough. It will be. Like jnewman said, laminates are used mostly to help make a less stiff wood become stiffer.

I've seen many basses with 2 and 3 laminate maple necks. Alternatively, you could always glue a veneer to the back of the headstock. Another alternative is to make the headstock out of a piece of maple that you did not use in the laminates. One example of this is the Gecko necks by Warmoth. Check out the back of them, I think they are really cool.

hey,i'm sorry to interviene,but i dont want to start a new post,and i cant find any info about my neck ''querie'',so...

well y'no how a 3 piece neck laminate is like,3 pieces 1 after the other...duh lol,what about the rosewood line that are commonly used on fender necks? like this http://www.jcguitars.com/robbas3.JPG

its not a lamitate,but its 3 pieces and its sorta stuck in,does it have a name?or is it just reffered to as''that thing to strenthen the neck''?

thanks

whitey

Orienting the grain provides stiffness in 2 dimensions. The quarter-sawn laminates (usually the two outer ones) provide stiffness to counteract the tension of the strings. The "flatsawn" piece (the center one) provides stiffness perpendicular to the two outer laminates. What is most important is the pieces that counteract the string tension or the two outer laminates. If you wish for the center laminate to have opposite grain, thats fine. If not, thats fine, too!

that is not the way i do it at all...i have never,ever heard of this...when people speak of reversing or flipping the center laminate...they mean turning it around,not on it's side.

if a middle laminate was flatsawn and the other 2 were quartered...it would stick out like a sore thumb...everyone would ask what was wrong with it.

the new japanese rgts have 3 piece maple necks...(at least the one i played did)the reason you don't see it much is that,even when you see it,it is not noticeable unless you know what you are looking for...

hey,i'm sorry to interviene,but i dont want to start a new post,and i cant find any info about my neck ''querie'',so...

well y'no how a 3 piece neck laminate is like,3 pieces 1 after the other...duh lol,what about the rosewood line that are commonly used on fender necks? like this http://www.jcguitars.com/robbas3.JPG

its not a lamitate,but its 3 pieces and its sorta stuck in,does it have a name?or is it just reffered to as''that thing to strenthen the neck''?

thanks

whitey

On fender necks, that line is made these days with walnut, not rosewood (it used to be koa). It's not actually there "to strengthen the neck," it's used on one-piece maple necks in which the fretboard is the same piece of wood as the neck. A slot is routed from behind, the truss rod is inserted, and the skunk stripe is glued in to fill the slot. It's very nearly impossible to glue a light-colored patch into a light-colored wood without ugly lines, so they use a darker color wood and dark tinted glue so slight irregularities in the fit aren't so apparent. In recent years of manufacture, the spot around the top where it rounds off and stops is particularly poorly fitted.

Edited by jnewman

that is not the way i do it at all...i have never,ever heard of this...when people speak of reversing or flipping the center laminate...they mean turning it around,not on it's side.

You have never heard of that? Hmm... I can't remember where I've read it. Oh well, disregard my post!

Gecko's neck looks to me like a scarf joint headstock, just the one I can't make!!! :D

Ok clear something up to me please. There are necks made from 3 pcs maple. Ok but if it's a laminate can I use 3 pcs flatsawn or 3 pcs 1/4sawn? I have to order wood from exotic woods , what is your advice 3 pcs of Eastern Flamed maple or 1/4sawn hard maple? (I would thickness sand the one in the middle about 1/2")

In any case could i glue the 3 pcs with the same grain direction?

For truss rods, the stew ones are too deep. Do you suggest me the ones of LMI (double acting rods)? 20 bucks, I hope it'll be worth the money!!!

Edited by gun

Gecko's neck looks to me like a scarf joint headstock, just the one I can't make!!! :D

Ok clear something up to me please. There are necks made from 3 pcs maple. Ok but if it's a laminate can I use 3 pcs flatsawn or 3 pcs  1/4sawn? I have to order wood from exotic woods , what is your advice 3 pcs of Eastern Flamed maple or 1/4sawn hard maple? (I would thickness sand the one in the middle about 1/2")

In any case could i glue the 3 pcs with the same grain direction?

For truss rods, the stew ones are too deep. Do you suggest me the ones of LMI (double acting rods)? 20 bucks, I hope it'll be worth the money!!!

For what it's worth, my current in-progress guitar has an LMI truss rod, and it seems to be quite well put together.