Tele Mod: Thinline Or Contours?

Mickguard

Thinline vs Strat-style Contours  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm getting around to modifying my telecaster body. Turns out to be quite pretty wood, so I'll probably leave that exposed.

But I need to lessen the weight of the guitar to make it playable for me.

Originally I intended to turn it into a thinline. But I've been playing a strat a lot lately, and I kind of like the contours now...but telecasters are way prettier. (edit: oh yeah, that's right, I WILL be keeping the original pickguard)

So I'm thinking of contouring the BACK of the telecaster (the front will still look like a traditional telecaster.

What's your preference?

I am interested in the outcome of this poll, as well, because my next project is a Tele complete redo and I am trying to decide how much to lighten and contour it. With that thought in mind, I shall not vote. Don't want to muddy the waters, so to speak. Ughh, even though I love Muddy Waters. Don't get me wrong! :D

BTW I will NOT be using a pickgaurd. Hate em, hate em, hate em!

I'd say use a regular tele pickguard, and hollow out the majority of the pickguard area. Then put your tummy cut in there, too. You'll have weight reduction on both the treble and bass sides. The original Ibanez Talmans were hollowed out under the guard, much like what you'd have if you did under the tele guard, up into the cutaway.

Ughh, even though I love Muddy Waters. Don't get me wrong! :D

I absolutely HATE makin muddy waters. I cramp up and can spend hours on the toilet making horrible, embarrassing noises. :D

Oh wait! My bad :D

I love Muddy Waters too! B)

I voted for the contours because going with a thinline will alter the tone alot not just lighten the weight of it. Unless you want the thinline tone, that is.

What do you mean by the scoop under the bridge--do you have photos?

Within the last couple weeks, someone posted a link to a builder who made a concave, hemispherical carve on the back of the guitar. The ferrules for the string thru, were at the top (bottom?) of the "cavity".

It looks like there's a little bit of that in Topper's guitar.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jimkelly/back2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jimkelly/guitar5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close the thread....

The winner is.....contours!

But on the back only. I'm keeping the front nice n' flat that way a tele should be.

It just seemed like it'd be more fun carving up the guitar, that's all...

It was, that is, yesterday I went to it with the surform...I used my strat to give me a template of the carve I wanted to make...

But I'm not done yet...since I want this guitar to lose weight, I'm wondering what else I can carve...heh heh...maybe I'll continue the carve around the bottom?...