Unknown guitar, Ibanez floyd???

Guest AlexVDL

I know Surf City Instruments have been making copys of guitars for awhile now, I think but I'm not positive that they are contracting out to one of the factorys in China and also Korea, so these models could very well be an exact copy with a different finish.........

• 3 weeks later...

u mean brushed steal?

ya i'm one of those anti ibanez tremolo guys, well not that it's ibanez i dislike, it's the whole "liscenced" genre.. though there are some good copies ou there, i prefer the real thing, i snagged a brand new still in box real Floyd Pro on ebay for 135$ :D

powder coat is a type of coating that is incredibly scratch resistant and when done properly is supposed to bond well with steel and aluminum.we install alot of handrails with it.problem is when it does chip it comes off in large chunks.and once it starts chipping it tends to float away from the surface around the chip until it just looks like crap.

u mean brushed steal?

ya i'm one of those anti ibanez tremolo guys, well not that it's ibanez i dislike, it's the whole "liscenced" genre.. though there are some good copies ou there, i prefer the real thing, i snagged a brand new still in box real Floyd Pro on ebay for 135$ :D

have you properly compared the two??

on most points the lo pro edge is actually the better trem

and after playing both i've become an edge addict

just because one is the 'real thing' doesn't mean it's followers can't succeed it B)

have you properly compared the two??

on most points the lo pro edge is actually the better trem

and after playing both i've become an edge addict

just because one is the 'real thing' doesn't mean it's followers can't succeed it :D

Which points are these?

"Feel" is, of course, subjective

I cant say that any Edge I own (1 Lo-Pro 7 and 3 Originals) just plain outperforms My TRS trem or the Kahler trems I have as far as tuning stability goes (The LP7 is, in fact, dangerously close to being tossed into the "piece of complete shite category because it's as fragile as a freakin' egg)

Besides having a cool, overbuilt, look I HONESTLY can't give the Edge an, no pun intended, edge. And no, I don't hate them or hate Ibanez, I just don't think they're the be all, end all.

i prefer the edge because of the stiffer feel and the pop in bar and to be honest i also prefer the way it looks.but i really have alot of floyd style trems and i like them all,but the edge seems to have a smoother travel.they all stay in tune for me(for the most part)but i think the hardened inserts of the edge give a more consistent feel (like the original floyd)while the die cast body seems to have a less bright sound to it.i seem to get a warmer bottom end through the die cast trem.but that is just my opinion.

feel free to roast me :D

Another point are the saddles, the OFR has 3 different height saddles... the edge has all the same height saddles so they can be used at every position.

These are just some little points I like about it. Oh yeah.. one bad point about the edge trems... they're too freaking expensive!!!

Here's my list of good floyd rose trems:

1. Gotoh floyd rose

2. Ibanez Edge/lo pro

3. Schaller floyd rose/pro

3. Original floyd rose

4. Kahler spyder

I've always had mixed feelings about this. It's great if you have a flat fingerboard. But it becomes a pain in the behind when you have a nice radius. I know, I know, shims, but reallistically speaking I'm lazy and I'd rather have it done for me :D

You're right, to my knowledge Kahler's Spyder is the only FR that had height adjustable saddles. Kahler had a bunch of really cool bells & whistles for their bridges (the finger lock string locks are still genius and there's no good reason why their kit that allowed the Spyder to be converted to a stop-tail at the flick of a switch didn't take off). I still don't understand why they aren't Shcaller level big.

You're right, to my knowledge Kahler's Spyder is the only FR that had height adjustable saddles. Kahler had a bunch of really cool bells & whistles for their bridges (the finger lock string locks are still genius and there's no good reason why their kit that allowed the Spyder to be converted to a stop-tail at the flick of a switch didn't take off). I still don't understand why they aren't Shcaller level big.

i think kahler has some BRILLIANT trem designs and i wish they were readily available like floyds are.i think they have very poor marketing.