Tom Delonge Strat From Parts...

Yeah, I'm building what is pretty much a Tom Delonge Strat from a mixture of kit parts and ebay purchases. I just got a pearl pickguard off ebay and am looking for a decent invader pickup.

Pics to come soon.

I decided to build one as

*I'm bored

*I love my RG, but as it's so cool/expensive I'm scared ****less of taking it out to perform as it could get damaged/stolen (a cheaper guitar (like the one I'm making) I wouldn't be as worried about.

*The Edge III and Locking nut on my RG are great, however I don't want to have to give my RG a setup everytime I want to play in a different tuning. With a standard bridge and reasonable gauge strings I will be able to tune how I like.

It obviously won't be as good as my RG (the body is universally routed, so probably not the best tone (can i fill the gap with foam or something?)), but as I explained above, a straight foward, stripped down guitar is all I need for public performances at the moment.

Don't think this makes me love my RG any less. Infact, I'm using it at several performances in the near future.

Basically I want to take care of my RG, when circumstances permit (like a driving license, or a setlist with the band that requires some varied guitar sounds) the RG is so there. I ****ing love it, however I still have a soft spot for straight out simple powerchord rocking minus all the lead lines that the RG is so good at.

I got a stratocaster kit from fretco which contains all parts needed. It was cheaper to buy it in full, with the loaded pickguard, so I'm gonna rip the volume pot out of it and wire it up to the TD pickguard I'm getting.

As far as paint, I'm thinking Olypmic white or mabye a bright, not pale yellow. Basicaly anything bright and that goes with the pearl pickguard. If you've got colour suggestions, put em' foward.

I'm also preparing a custom logo for the headstock.

Today I'm just starting the process Prepping the body for painting.

I'll get pics up soon.

UPDATE 1

Just sprayed the primer on. a few ****ups here and there, but not bad.

UPDATE 2

Primer got layed down about an hour and a half ago. Once that dried, I sanded it lightly with very fine sandpaper and sprayed on 'crystal white'. It looks sexy and it's not even finished yet.

I will sand it lightly tomorrow and apply the clearcoat. I wish I had pics.

UPDATE 3

PICTURES:

http://www.geocities.com/neocon58/strat1

http://www.geocities.com/neocon58/strat2

http://www.geocities.com/neocon58/strat3

http://www.geocities.com/neocon58/strat4

Edited by neocon58

Cool. I'm not a real big Blink 182 fan, but I love the Delonge Strat because it's just a straight ahead rock guitar. One pickup and one volume knob, like the old Charvelles. I'm planning on making one similar out of a Squier strat once my current refurbishing job is done. I look forward to seeing your build.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Fretco are just a good local shop. The parts I used they get in from elswehere, however if you prefer the guy in the shop makes bodies and necks to order, routed however you want, any shape etc.

The universal routing on the one I bought will probably kil the tone a bit (Can I fill it in somehow?) but it was designed to be a straight foward rock guitar with no frills.

Fretco

Edited by neocon58

Cool, I was really suprised at how much the headstock looks like the New York Pro's. Just wanted to make sure you weren't getting ripped off. I got one of the strats off eBay new for $52 (US) + ship, replaced the nut, full setup and it plays pretty okay.

nypstratredh.jpg

Have fun.. :D

Edited by Gorecki

yeah, that looks pretty close to it.

Hey guys, should a regular strat tremolo bridge fit the tom delonge pickguard properly? The reason I ask is because the body is routed for a standard tremolo bridge, however I bought a hardtail bridge without realizing this. The hardtail sits over, almost covering the entire hole in the top of the guitar. There probably isn't even a millimetre of the hole showing on either side, but I just think it might look shyte if I leave it like that. If a standard tremolo fits the pickguard I'll go in and exchange for one.

Ordered a white invader today. Still waiting on the pickguard.

Do you have a source for the pickguard already?

what do you mean by 'do i have a source'?

I've already purchased one via ebay and it's on it's way, if that's what you mean.

That's what I meant. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you give for it?

Ordered a white invader today. Still waiting on the pickguard.

Do you have a source for the pickguard already?

what do you mean by 'do i have a source'?

I've already purchased one via ebay and it's on it's way, if that's what you mean.

That's what I meant. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you give for it?

I paid about 40USD + shipping. I didn't mind forking out for it as I can't find any pickguards like it around, and most shops that could custom make it for me charged riduculous prices.

hey neocon

where in adelaide are you??

Edited by dash

cool

i'm from down port adelaide way.

i spoke with fretco about a month ago and asked them about building a custom neck for me, but they seemed quite pricey. i figured i could probably f*** up at least four or five times building a neck before i got near their price, so i'm going to give building a go. the guy i spoke to seemed like a pretty good guy, didn't get pissed at me for all the stupid questions i was throwing at him.

yeah, they're pretty good down there. Went down there this morning to exchange the hardtail bridge for the normal trem bridge, no troubles at all.

I got the pickguard today, and went and exchanged the hardtail for the standard trem bridge. I put it all together tonight. So everything is done except electrics. I put strings on it because I wanted to feel how it would play. Seems ok. It looks sweet as with the pickguard.

I'm still waiting on the pickup, and then I gotta wire the bitch up. Once it's all done, I'll probably get it checked over by a professional, just to be sure.

So the guitar is probably about 75% complete.

Pictures soon!

PICTURES (copy and paste into your browser!)

www.geocities.com/neocon58/1

www.geocities.com/neocon58/2

www.geocities.com/neocon58/3

www.geocities.com/neocon58/4

www.geocities.com/neocon58/5

www.geocities.com/neocon58/6

www.geocities.com/neocon58/13

Edited by neocon58

But today, like so many around the world, I'm British.  :D

Thats so kewl. I live about 15 miles away from the bombings so I was well clear, but like so many people, I have friends and Family who live and work in central London and it was a bit strange not being able to contact them at all for hours on end. If anything this has united people and we all helped each other contact friends and family earlier today while the chaos was ensuing in Central London.

Things will be back to normal tomorrow tho, but thats just the way it is in England, and London in particular. Its sort of a nusience more than anything, without meaning to sound blase about the deaths.

Anyway, respect to you all. Be good to each other.