Buying A Guitar.........

Hughes

ok, im kinda just beginning to play guitar alot, and i really want a BC Rich ( haha laugh you mean people :D:D ) and since i am just starting, i was looking at a Bronze series becasue they are cheap and good for beginners, BUTTTT i am having problems getting one cheap enough and am getting a job pretty soon so i would be able to buy a really good guitar such as an NJ Classic, i would play it for hours in my room so theres no problem of me quiting or anything, and heres where you guys come in!

would it be kinda stupid to get a really guitar as a first, or should i get a lower end one, play for a year or two, then get a really guitar. i just dont want people thinking im a poser or anything (or spoiled, but what do they know, im working hard to earn it!) so what is your guys' oppinion? :D

thanks, Hughes B)

What's a "really" guitar? :D

I think, if you can save the money for it, you might as well buy something decent right away. That doesn't mean super-top-of-the-line, but something that's been set up well, has the frets well dressed, doesn't buzz anywhere on the neck, and suits your personality.

Neither of my electrics are expensive. I paid $450 for a Pacifica and a Little '59 to go in it. I paid $400 (list price ~$700 but I got it used) for my Godin LG. Both are awesome players.

BUT, I have a friend's Mako "strat" in my posession that he handed over in the hopes that I could do something with the setup while he's in England, and it's really beyond saving without spending more on it than it's worth. It was about $200 new, and it shows.

Greg

Hi Hughes...

First off, did you think of the AMP? You did not say anything about the amp...

There are starter packages by B.C.Rich with a Bronze Warlock and a B.C.Rich Amp (BCL-10), and to tell you quite frankly, I HATE the sound. It's really awful. Granted, it's only a practice amp, but it sucks nonetheless.

If you are serious with guitar playing, you will outgrow that guitar after two years at the latest, probably sooner.

I mean, I love the shape. When I first saw it, I felt I just HAD to start on that guitar.

I can tell you about the Warlock Bronze that it sucks. The pickups are awful. The bridge is of poor quality, in fact it will lose some of its chrome color if you scratch it and so. The nut is of plastic. The tuners aren't that bad I must say. For the rest, it has an agathis body.

It seems to me that you are starving for a B.C. Rich. Great, ok so. If you are also dead sure you'll play seriously (and I mean DEAD SURE), then I suggest to wait a bit and get the better guitar. And stop thinking whether people will think of you as a poser. Most won't know the difference between a Bronce and a NJ anyway and if they do they will more likely appreciate it than anything else.

And, what about the amp?

EDIT: If you are planning to buy a Bronce Warlock and to mod it, you'll have to mod it damn much. At least both pickups and the nut. Perhaps also the bridge although that's ok for the moment, and if I were at it, I would also get better tuners just for the sake of it :-P

Oh, when you remove the nut, you'll probably find out you'll have to clean the routing there and sand a bit. Same goes probably for the neck pocket.

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

sorry, never mentioned the amp, i will also buy a 100+ Watt amp with my first paycheck, but if i cant afford it quite then, i will use a 75W peavey backstage amp. the reason i said about being a poser is because my buddy here has 3 really good fenders worht like $1000 each and he isnt good, and i hate that. but i will only have one so yeah, im gonna go ahead and buy an NJ Series becasue i will end up with one anyways. thanks guys

sorry, never mentioned the amp, i will also buy a 100+ Watt amp with my first paycheck, but if i cant afford it quite then, i will use a 75W peavey backstage amp. the reason i said about being a poser is because my buddy here has 3 really good fenders worht like $1000 each and he isnt good, and i hate that. but i will only have one so yeah, im gonna go ahead and buy an NJ Series becasue i will end up with one anyways. thanks guys

But you could buy right now a digital metronome and do some rhythmic exercises with feet and stuff... :D

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

how much do one of them go for?

Don't know right now, but a metronome is absolutely essential! And those "something has survived" mechanical ones are too imprecise...

Btw I was joking about getting it now, but a digital metronome or a simple drum machine are absolutely essential to develop a good steady timing and a solid rhythmic foundation. DO get one and don't listen to those who say they "don't need" a metronome...

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

You don't NEED a metronome, you can tap your hands and feet to a tune on the radio if timing practice is how it will be used. Certainly you can make use of one for practicing tunes or scales on your own but otherwise in a group environment, timing is a collective effort, starting with the drummer. If the drummer doesn't have good time..everything sounds like Guns&Roses! :D

man, please... DON'T get a bronze BC Rich.

Just go for something else! lol

btw, if you're beginning, you don't need a 100w amp!!! And your friend having one is really far from being a good reason to buy one. I'm starting to be fairly good at guitar and i play in a 30w bass amp, wich sounds WAY louder than enough for any practice you could think of. And since you probably won't be doing gigs so soon, you really shouldn't shell out like 600$ for an amp like that.

You don't NEED a metronome, you can tap your hands and feet to a tune on the radio if timing practice is how it will be used.  Certainly you can make use of one for practicing tunes or scales on your own but otherwise in a group environment, timing is a collective effort, starting with the drummer.  If the drummer doesn't have good time..everything sounds like Guns&Roses!  :D

Psss... don't listen to him, he's old and evil :D

I stress again that a metronome is essential... but obviously only for practicing alone. Not in a band! That's different... Let's just hope the drummer got good timing B)

phffffft whats wrong with guns and roses haha i like it

Nothing's wrong with them (well other than Axel), but break out there first album and try to set a metronome to anything, anywhere for more than 15 seconds. Their tempo is all over the place! That's what I ment by if your drummer doesn't have timing, you'll sound like G&R.

Nothing's wrong with them (well other than Axel), but break out there first album and try to set a metronome to anything, anywhere for more than 15 seconds.  Their tempo is all over the place!  That's what I ment by if your drummer doesn't have timing, you'll sound like G&R.

And then again, I think that this 1st album was the best one ever from G&R. And alto you are right,(I had a frien tell me the same thing), I could say that the album was pretty good, under the standards that most glamour bands were playing at the time.

Nothing's wrong with them (well other than Axel), but break out there first album and try to set a metronome to anything, anywhere for more than 15 seconds.  Their tempo is all over the place!  That's what I ment by if your drummer doesn't have timing, you'll sound like G&R.

And then again, I think that this 1st album was the best one ever from G&R. And alto you are right,(I had a frien tell me the same thing), I could say that the album was pretty good, under the standards that most glamour bands were playing at the time.

It is a good album. 'under the standards'? More like under the influence! :D

Buy a Godin,its a bit more expensive then squires and epis but its alot better quality,my friend has one and I've played otheres and they blow most guitars in their price range away(the lower end ones),trust me it'll last you a while. My friend withe the Godin also has a Dave Mustaine ESP signature and ill tell you that he still pulls out the Godin, it can hold its own.