Scalloping Without The Dremel Sander

I don't have a Dremel sander, and I don't really feel like buying one. I want to scallop my neck. It's a really crappy neck, but if I do it good and I like it, I want to do it my good guitar. I don't want to buy the sander to use it twice, or should I? Is there another way of doing it without it that's easy?

i just used 2 or 3 rounded files, then spent 4 hours sanding... and my fingers were REALLY soar afterwards! :D but i like the job i did, the only problem with sanding by hand is u have to be carfull of the frets... i accidentally sanded the corners of the frets so they rounded off quite a bit... i eneded up having to level down the fret board so the high e string wouldn't slip off the side every time i tried to play a note

I did pretty much all of my scalloping job using simple round objects { dowels, pens, markers, etc.. } of various sizes wrapped in sandpaper. Start with a coarse grit like 100 or 120, and work your way down to 300-400 grit. Like i said, just find a round object that will fit in between your frets, cover the fretwire with several layers of tape, then go to town on it!

Hope this helps,

Ben