Wood Cavity Covers

Untitled-44.jpg

look at these cavity covers, they follow the same grain as the surrounding wood, and they are part of the carve, so putting 2 and 2 together i get 4 so those covers are from the same bit of wood, same grain as the surrounding areas etc etc,

i have tried this, but have only had sucess with thin, almost veneer thickness attempts, these ones are clearly thicker, so my question is how does one acheive this?

luke

:D:D

Edited by where's the beef???

that is perry's guitar...ask him.

he answered it once before,about 2 years ago,but i don't remember the answer...

i an going to do the same thing soon...but i am going to rout out the cavity.then use a piece of the same wood in a bookmatched area to make the cover(my piece is 3" thick.)

yeah maiden i know where he keeps the pics, i see that it is done but i dont see how it could be done, unless u get a really small router bit and run it around the out side of the cover type thing on the back, as shown in red down there \/

untitled4415uj.jpg

and then rout in behind itso it drops out..... maybe, more experimenting to be done, i just need that small router bit..

luke

:D

ps. oh wes i asked perry a while ago and he said nah sorry cant tell ya that cos im the only 1 doin it that way, or somthing similar to that

yeah maiden i know where he keeps the pics, i see that it is done but i dont see how it could be done, unless u get a really small router bit and run it around the out side of the cover type thing on the back, as shown in red down there \/

and then rout in behind itso it drops out..... maybe, more experimenting to be done, i just need that small router bit..

i would imagine that it would be done in the opposite way you described. rout out the chamber from the front, and then maybe use a very fine drill dit, then a coping saw with a very fine blade (or something like that :D )

cheers

darren