Tung Oil... Body And Neck

Sobot

I've decided I'm going to use Tung oil to finish my guitar (someone tell me if it's a bad idea!).

Just a couple of questions... can I apply it directly to super-fine sanded wood that has been cleaned (of dust) very well or do I need something before? Also, will it darken the wood at all? It needs to stay the same wood colour that it is!!!

Thank you! :D

What kind of tung oil do you plan on using? A little warning... don't get pure tung oil (like Stewmac sells). I got some of it, but when I applied it (to scrap, of course) it was all sticky. I don't think it ever fully dried. I would use Forby's that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot.

What kind of tung oil do you plan on using? A little warning... don't get pure tung oil (like Stewmac sells). I got some of it, but when I applied it (to scrap, of course) it was all sticky. I don't think it ever fully dried. I would use Forby's that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot.

You're supposed to add a siccative, or buy it already mixed in.

i've got a question for you guys that recommend true oil..i haven't used it for years but i have re-done some gun stocks in the past with it and the true oil that i used built up to a very high gloss finish. i like oil finishes because i'm not a fan of high gloss guitars and can build it to just the sheen that i like.

does true oil now make a satin or low sheen product?

thanks vankirk..that's good to know and i just might give that a try on my current project.

and yes, tung oil will darken your honduran mahogany. take a damp rag and wipe the wood and that's approximately what it will look like with an oil finish. as far as turorials there may be one here but just follow the directions on the can and you should do well..to me a hand rubbed finish is all about feel and quitting when it looks the way i want it to..not cut and dry, step by step instructions so just relax and enjoy the experience.

Do a search for tung oil and read up. There was a guy here who put up quite a few good pointers on tung oil finishes, Dugz_ink or something close to that, was his handle. (Sorry if I got the name wrong!!) I used his pointers, along with a few others, to do an oil finish that turned out really great. :D

thanks everyone. What does polymerized mean? Would it be better than pure? I'm not much of a paint person, but I live very close to a lee valley : http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...t=1,190&p=42942

would any of those be suitable for the back of the neck or the body, I DO NOT want it to turn darker.

Also, I see a gel finish there, would that be good enough for all the traffic on the neck?

Edited by Sobot

Any oil finish will darken wood, although some do it more than others. If you REALLY don't want it to darken AT ALL, you're going to have to go to a lacquer, urethane, or possibly super-blonde shellac (not a good choice on a guitar).

Ok thanks, that's fine, that's what i said at the beginning to tell me if oil finish is bad.

well, for someone like me that likes the look of natural mahogany and has no idea how (nor the time) to make a nitro/poly clear coat (2 months to cure before wet sanding... right.) oil is probably the very best finish possible, even if it means re applying it periodically.