Vote On Which Finish Will Adorn My Current Project

thegarehanman

Which Finish do you think I should go with?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, here's a thumbnail(click to enlarge) of 4 finishes I'm considering. Please vote on one and give me your thoughts on why.

finish_preview.jpg.xs.jpg

A:Stained cherry red sanded back with amber as the final color(if this is put on the guitar, it will also have a cherry sunburst).

B:Flamed maple au natural(This too will receive a cherry sunburst if used).

C:Just plain brown die. Looks like a sandback though, doesn't it?(this would not have a sunburst)

D:Stained black sanded back with amber as the final color.(This would also receive a cherry sunburst if selected).

All of the finishes are coated with laquer in the photos. I personally like the brown the best, but I don't think it's right for this guitar. For this guitar, I think I like A and B the best; either one would have a cherry sunburst in the end. I think B with a burst would be the classiest look, but I don't know if I want full on "classy" for this guitar. If you haven't seen the guitar yet, it's posted in the"in progress and finished work" section; the title of the thread is "Neck Through Semi Hollow in Progress." The guitar will be recieving all gold hardware with Gold knurled knobs, a clear pickguard, and flamed maple humbucker rings that will receive the same finish as the guitar body.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Edited by thegarehanman

I voted D, mostly because it realy pops the grain in somewhat of a "flames" pattern

I bet if you added more black and didnt sand it back so much, it would give it a bit more definition, but, thats not my department (yet, still workin on that)

Good luck

Curtis

I picked b. I really like seeing the natural wood as best you can. When you do good work with nice wood and laminates, I feel minimal color is best. I think your laminate wood will darken a lot with a finish and give it a really nice look. And I always love the look of natural maple. Mabye you could do the brown on the pickup rings, maybe put a piece of tape across the laminates of the rings and dye the rest, which would add some nice color but still match well due to the lighter strips. Or at least darken them a little somehow, so they stand out a little, they look really good! Anyways I'm sure any way you go this thing will look sweet, I really like it. It has been fun watching this thing from the beginning to end, and I can't wait to see it all done. Good luck with your finishing experiences and I hope it turns out how you want it! Later! Jason

Well I'll take that as quite a compliment considering your dying jobs. That brown is actually my own concoction. It's stewmac die. 7parts cherry red, 5 parts vintage amber, 2 parts black...thinned with laquer thinner. I might try that, not a bad idea. Unless that turns out phenominally, I think it's between the natural middle and cherry bursted edges and the all brown finish right now. And no one has voted for the brown yet. Craziness.

I voted D because it's the most dramatic, although with this guitar I can easily see you going for B.

Only problem with the natural is its (relative) lack of drama...but then, it might allow the guitar to speak more for itself.

The brown doesn't come out well in the photo --too dark, no definition--and that might be how it'll turn out in person.

EXCEPT: with your penchant (and talent) for inlays, I can see the beauty of a dark brown guitar with perloid inlays...(and binding)...but then I really like contrasts on guitars.

So I vote for almost all of them --I think you'll have a hard time ruining this guitar...

But I'd like to see another test with the brown and inlay combination (the inlays will match the hardware, right? RIGHT? And no mismatched knobs this time, right? RIGHT? :D )

man, i am so freaking awesome with windows paint...actually, i'm much better with a rasp, but here's a thought:

backhack.JPG.xs.jpg

the inlays are all cut out. they are cut from abalone, gold MOP(to compliment the gold hardware), flamed maple, and ebony. depending on how well the abalone contrasts with the ebony fretboard and whatever finish ends up on the back of the guitar, I may end up putting a thin layer of gold around each leaf and stem to make it visually stand out just a bit. I haven't really taken a close look at that yet.

I'm thinking of trying to make some flamed maple tuner knobs. i have flamed maple humbucker rings that will be going on and all of the binding is flamed maple. i think the contrast of natural maple accents with the brown dye could be quite elegant. the picture really doesn't convey the warmth that the brown dye has. i will play around with the color ratios to see if i can do anything with the brown. i have to tell you, i didn't think the brown was appropriate for this guitar at first, but hell, if it doesn't grow on me more everytime i see it.

to be honest, sunbursts have never really been my thing, but i have a problem with a guitar that's entirely 3d amber, can't explain it. it's just a gut instinct, ya know?

Edited by thegarehanman

oh, and idch...

no "mismatched" knobs again...even though I liked the arrangement I had. i promise though, the knobs will be as gold as the switch, bridge, tailpiece, pickguard bracket, stereo output jack, straplocks, humbucker height screws, humbucker mounting screw, and tuner cases. because i know how much you like gold! :D

Just like in the American Political system, your votes have had a great impact on the result. I have decided I'm going to use the brown. I have tweeked my mixture a bit with some more amber, and it is gorgeous. The elegance of it is that it's subtle. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like most black sand back methods, but if you get up close to it, it's just breathtaking.

Do you have a pic of the new mixture, I was going to suggest one less black and one more cherry, to lighten it a little, more transparent looking to show off your woods/laminates. Really nice stuff all around, and your going to leave the binding all natural right? I think thas what you said. Man this is going to be an epic guitar definately GOTM material, I can't wait! And you have taken so many pics of the process it makes me feel like we all had a part in it, like we were all standing around watching you work. Very cool! Later man and get us some pics of the new mix! Jason

Here's the deal jmrentis:

Only the maple top and back will get the dye. The neck, sides, and headstock will remain their natural colors. I fully intend to show off those laminates on the back of the neck. The pickup rings I'm using aren't the ones I had posted. I bought a set of maple rings for $40(flamed maple, might I add). The rings will be natural as well; this will go nicely with the natural flamed maple binding adorning the front and back of the guitar as well as the neck and headstock. The whole theme of this guitar is inovation meets elegant tradition...i guess. I really want a set of maple tuner knobs, but TGH Knobs wants $125 for them(yeah, right). There's no way I can make them, not well. The inside needs to be too small and precise to be done without cnc equiptment. If anyone could find maple tuner knobs for schallers for cheaper than $125, I'd be eternally indebted. And as far as this being GOTM material, I certainly hope it wins when I post it. I've put so much labor into this thing.

Edited by thegarehanman

I really want a set of maple tuner knobs, but TGH Knobs wants $125 for them(yeah, right).

No way! Thats a little overpriced, I know it can be very difficult to make, but it's just a splinter of wood, not much to them. So they are cnc made? Couldn't they charge a little less since the cnc machine would make short work of it, and since they should have the program all set up, it's not like it's made custom for each customer, I don't see where that price comes from. I guess since next to nobody makes them and they are difficult to build they can get away with it. It actually might not be a rip off but I would never be able to pay that much money. I bet they look nice though and would make a great addition to your guitar!

Thanks for explaining your guitar layout for me, it sound like it will be a winner. With all the work you've done I have a feeling it will be my vote. It really is a great guitar and very unique as well, which is saying a lot now a days. It's hard to come up with a guitar that isn't exactly like 20 others, and you kept to what you wanted which is always difficult when you have a bunch of people telling you they don't like this and change that. But you stuck to it more or less and it came out great so far. I hope your finish turns out well, I've heard that can be the worst part.

Well good luck and keep up the excellent work, I know it will pay off for you. It really looks like it's going to be a top notch guitar and I can't wait to hear what you think of the sound, I bet it will be impressive! Later man. Jason

Actually, I think leaving the gold knobs on the tuners will be overkill. So that's exactly why I want different knobs: to avoid overdoing anything. I know if I don't overdo anything, I'll be deathly close to it anyhow. I can't match the tuners to the inlays, I don't have any regular MOP on the guitar, only gold MOP. And schaller only makes ebony and perloid knobs. Those are only $25 though. I used the perloid ones on my last guitar. I'm thinking the ebony might work out; it would match the fretboard, peghead, and the black purfing.