My First Guitar Project, Own Design

Hi everyone this is the first time I’ve posted here, yay. :D

This is my first guitar project, I had the idea for this guitar about a year ago and I have only just gotten round to start making it.

I Only Have a Concept for it at the moment.

Check it out:

1121417747.jpg

Any critts/Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks shreddy, good point on the headstock, the only reason why i used it was because to make the image i used a neck model of a strat model that i made at uni

btw, it was made in maya

I' m not usually a huge fan of crazy guitars, but I like this one - maybe because while it's radical in design, it's still rounded? It looks nice. I kind of like the idea of a strat style headstock on it - although like Shreddy says, this one doesn't quite work, what about a big ol' 70's style CBS-era fender headstock? m Maybe even exaggerate it more?

With those deep, curving cut outs on the side, between the pickups, I can't help but imagine a crazy small fretboard radius so you could play this with a bow.

The strat headstock's kinda...odd on there, has to be said, but it doesn't look completely wrong. Then again, maybe that's just 'cause I like strat headstocks.

I agree a 3+3, probably symmetrical, would be a good choice for this. Fairly compact, not too 'heavy'. Somehting that follows the body design. I'm not wild about it, but I'm pretty conservative in my tastes (don't like my guitars too absolutely 'crazy'.

I do have one potentially 'worry', though: the section between the bridge and the neck is very, very narrow, particularly if you're actually going to use a trem on it (as your drawing indicates). Take into account the mass removed for the trem cavity, and the pickup routes, and the fact you don't have much lateral wood left to provide extra stability, and you may end up with a guitar that's a tad too flexible at the body, which won't help tuning stability.

Then again, I may be wrong. But draw it out really carefully, side and 'see-through' views.

Thought 2: that's going to be incredibly annoying to play without a strap, unless you kind go 'classical style', and tuck your right leg into the cutout at the tail..

i would go for a 3 by 3 headstock... maybe a toned down BC Rich? Just what i would do.

Still looks killer.

T

I second that, maybe with a smaller take on the body design with straighter lines. Also, I'd put the output jack on the bottom part of the U-shaped part of the back, and not on the bottom with the beveled edge. Or, you could use a strat style angled jack on the back.

Also, notice that on all the pictures that the pickups are outside of the area they should be, drifting into the bevel. I know I probably don't need to say this, but make sure your dimensinos are accurate.

Other than that, I like it. Also, if it were mine, I'd do sort of a blueburst, but have the beveled edges burst or fade to black.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

WOW! One of the most asthesicaly pleasing designs ive seen in a while. The headstock doesnt fit, but the maple fretboard adds to its look, and the blue is lovely! I could imagine this in a trans purple and trans red as well. I think flat colours wouldnt do anything for it tho.

Its gonna sound wierd whatever colour you do it in!

Well done. Original and pleasing on the eye.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. :D

Thanks for drawing my attention to the headstock issue, I have to admit that I hadn't really thought about it as I had already brought the neck before I designed the body. As I will probably make more I will probably stick with my current neck and implement a new neck/headstock design in a future version.

In relation to mattia's comments, the section between the neck and the bridge has been of much concern to me too and I have found that making this section too wide causes the design to lose some of its pleasing aesthetics, the design reflects a trade-off between form and functionality and whilst it favors the form I think part of a guitars function is to look good. (Hope that made sense :D )

Also I have yet to think of a name for it, so if anyone has any suggestions?

Oh and thanks again for the great feedback.

NICE :D I like It!!

But A few thing's I see that could look better to my eyes

1. I Think you need more wood for the pickup to sit in not just for strength

but for look's

2.The electronics placement look's Off I dont think it flows with the guitar very well

3. your edges need A bit more work they Need to be sharper, cleaner

Now This Is all just how I see it Rember this Is your guitar And You did A deadly job for your first!! but if you look at what's been said and learn from it you'll just Keep on geting better and better at it

and For A name How About, the Dominator

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks Digideus and Metal Matt, its great to gets criticisms off of experienced guys such as yourselves.

I totally agree with you on the placement of the electronics and I will revise this when I come to it.

As for the edges I think I will reduce the bevels at the pickup section although I still want to keep it quite smooth. Maybe for the next one I’ll make a metal version.

To update you on my progress I am currently getting someone to route the neck, pickup and trem cavities, I'll post some pics when it gets back tonight. :D

dude that looks totally wicked!! :D

i'm with most of the other guys though, that headstock needs changing to something more "pointy".

for the name, how about the punisher??

cheers

darren

Morning all, sorry for not getting my images up yesterday I was having trouble with my server.

Anyway here's the images.

routing-lo.jpg

Heres one with some of the parts in place

comp-lo.jpg

btw. if the neck looks too inset into the body, don't worry about it i intend to cut it down when i come to finishing it.

There are also more images Here

I still need to get some electronics/controls/knobs and need to work more on the body but it seems to be taking shape nicely.

thanks bye :D

Edit: Oh yeah I dont know much about guitar electronics at the moment so I'd like to know what kind of setup you guys would sugest for this project, thanks.

Edited by kimstock

While a decent design (I'm a bassist... I like my curves :D), I hope you don't plan to play while sitting. It looks as though you are off to a great start, though :D.

I agree. I usually don't like these types of designs, but I have to say I like yours quite a bit. You won't be able to set it on your leg when sitting down, but you'll find some way around it. Might want to think hard about your cord jack placement too. Just some minor suggestions for an overall well done design. Congratulations, I can't wait to see the progress pictures.

• 1 month later...

Hi, here's the start of the controll cavity.

PICT11.jpg | PICT10.jpg | IMGP681.jpg

There's not much to do now but to paint and assemble it, i'm gonna wait until I go back to uni. to paint it because they've got a spray room with compressors and extractors. I'm planing on assembleing it in a few days time to see how it sounds and plays, then I'll disassemble it to do the paint.

I'll try to post a sound file, but I know next to nothing about recording so we'll just have to wait and see if I'm able to.

COOL B) Now paint it black and put in a Floyd rose :D

I have A real feer the this thing is going to be neck heavy :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

VERY nice work! My only suggestion would be to reshape the lower side of the headstock by taking where it is rounded and bringing it more from an arc to a point. Boggs

VERY nice work! My only suggestion would be to reshape the lower side of the headstock by taking where it is rounded and bringing it more from an arc to a point. Boggs

I agree, Real nice work dude but i also share the concerns that this might end up being slightly neck heavy...

Boggs suggested reshapeing the headstock, i think thats a great idea, i just dont think the strat style headstock suits the body, but remember, This is Your guitar so go with what you think is cool!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

He also might want to route out the spaces between the mini-control cavities unless he plans on drilling holes to run the wires from each one.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Are you sure it would be neck heavy? There seems to be quite a bit of wood back there.

BTW, I am IMPRESSED that you followed thru and actually built your design, I see soooo many people post those photoshopped pics and never do anything with them, they're a waste of time in my eyes, but you actually took the bull by the horns and built it, BRAVO!!!!!

VERY well executed so far too!

:D:D