Warmoth Conversion Necks?

In my search for a new tele neck, I've been coming across a few Warmoth Conversion necks ---so what's the deal with them?

I'm assuming since they're Warmoth, they're high quality. But how does the 'conversion' work?

Is it just that there's enough play in the tele saddles to allow you to intonate on the shorter scale?

I'd be interested in one of these --I really like the way my Gibson plays compared to my Strat.

Any thoughts? Anyone have one?

The conversion neck is 0.75" (or is it 0.875" ? :D ) shorter than the standard warmoth neck and is slotted for the 24.75 (24.625?) scale.

That way, nut to bridge is correct length for the scale without relying on the play in the saddle adjustment.

Cheers,

Brian.

The conversion neck is 0.75" (or is it 0.875" ?  :D ) shorter than the standard warmoth neck and is slotted for the 24.75 (24.625?) scale.

That way, nut to bridge is correct length for the scale without relying on the play in the saddle adjustment.

Cool, that makes sense...sounds like it could be something I'd like then. Thanks!

Yes...compared to a regular guitar, the baritone is tuned down anywhere from C to A (usually B..) using heavier gauge strings. So if you want to play back up in E, you'd need to capo or be Capt. Barre Chord.

The baritone conversion necks work the same way; they're designed so you can change the scale length without moving your bridge.

There are many factors that make a Gibson play differently than a Strat and the scale length is only one of those. Most Gibson's have a radius of 12", which I find very comfortable chording and playing lead. SRV's main guitar was re-radiused for 12", so he must have liked that also. It just makes bends easier than the 9.5" radius that most Fenders have. The way the frets are crowned also makes a difference to how well it plays. Older Gibson's had fret jobs that left the fret flat, and wasn't recrowned after leveling. Some people don't like it, some claim that the guitar won't play intonated correctly if the frets don't have a crown. I personally love playing flat fretted guitars, they play so smooth, but there are tradeoffs to this also. They play so good that I recently read an article with PRS where he said that some of his newer models will have the same type of flat fretting as older Gibson's had, because he loved the way they played. If I'm not mistaken the 513's have this feature, but I need to reread the article to make certain. Hardtail bridges don't give like a tremelo bridge, so bending on these type of guitars are generally easier since they don't give. I know it sounds like a bunch of little things, but it's those little things that determine how a guitar will play. That being said, I like playing both (Fender, and Gibson) , but each has their own vibe.

Yes...compared to a regular guitar, the baritone is tuned down anywhere from C to A (usually B..) using heavier gauge strings.  So if you want to play back up in E, you'd need to capo or be Capt. Barre Chord.

Or.... you just tune it as per standard....

...in which case it is no longer a baritone, but a regular guitar with a longer scale length.

But idch, it sounds like you want a shorter scale length, not longer, right? If you do this with a Tele, you'll notice the difference in playability more than the tone. GF also makes a good point about the radius.

But idch, it sounds like you want a shorter scale length, not longer, right?  If you do this with a Tele, you'll notice the difference in playability more than the tone.  GF also makes a good point about the radius.

Yep, I'd go for the shorter scale.

The ideal would be to replicate the feel and scale of my Gibson in maple (with the telel headstock; of course) My Gibson's got a nice round thing going --my strat is much flatter, doesn't fit as snugly into my hand.

And I really like the Gibson's frets --this is a 65 Melody Maker, so I'm assuming they're the flattened kind. Makes for some really smooth slides.

There's a Warmoth Conversion neck up on ebay right now, I'm tempted by it, except it's a rosewood board, and I was really thinking about a maple board for this guitar...we'll see what the bidding goes to....