Two At A Time. Sg/m-ii

NEW PICS ON LAST PAGE (8/18)!!!!!!

ok so its been about a month and a half now my friend and i have been working on our guitars. we bought a 10ft plank of mahogony and have so far done most of our bodies.

DSC_0036.jpg

The left one is mine and its a mdified verson of the ESP M-II...similar to the Kirk hammet model. The right one is, as you all know, an SG...awesome nonetheless. all the carving for both the guitars was done by hand with different grade rasps.

Heres a bunch more pics for you guys to see. HERE!!!

We just got started on the necks and so far its been a bit of a mind bender but im sure we'l get through it.

Hope you guys like it!

Edited by shanter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it looks like the neck pocket is crooked on the m-II. i betcha it's just the angle it's pictured at, but it dont look right.

also, the flame pattern on the SG, is that going to be carved out a little, or are you getting ideas for finishing? either way, it'd be cool...finish would look better though, rather than a cut out.

The pocket for the M-II hasnt actually been cut out. I left it really rough so that when it came time to pocket it i would have alot to work with. It's basically going to be a set through neck, going as deep as i can get it to fit.

for the flames, that was jsut my friend messing around with the design. were hoping on keeping a natural finish with a sort of ghosted flame. Probably spray on a lightly tinted stain or clear of some sort to give it that effect. we still havent really thought about it. were more concerned about the necks now.

ill post pics of the necks tomorrow...its pretty late now

Wow both guitars are looking great! I was wondering what wood it is you are using for the neck? Is it black limba, maple, or something else I can't really tell from the pics. I like the knobs too, they are very smooth and will compliment the guitar nicely I think. Well good luck with your project and keep us updated. Nice Pics! Later. Jason

They(the knobs) look like they're off a record player from the 70's. Now that could be interpereted in two ways...until I specify that it would be a record player with a feax-wood finish. Then it's just plain insulting.

Excellent progress. I haven't decided if I think using a milling machine is cheating yet.

Nice Work on those guitars man, although i think flames on just about any guitar is a bad idea (but thats my opinion) im more of a standard kind of person, i mean you could go pretty crazy on the inlays but on the body to me it has to be straight forward. Nonetheless they will most likely both turn out $%^&ing awesome

cant wait to see some more pics - nice mill btw :D

:D

The wood is actually....Mahogony...you cant really tell from the way the pics exposed but yea its mahogny we went and bought from www.exoticwoods.com. Its close by so we drove down and picked up some wood.

the control knobs arent 100% done, im going to make them a bit thinner and modify them so that they sit deeper in the recessed holes. I was thinking about keeping them aluminum as they are but i would have to clear coat them because if they sta that way the aluminum would oxidize, not to mention, stain from sweaty hands. My intial intention was to spray them black so we'll see what happens with that.

milling...cheating? hm...in some manners, yes, but milling also requires alot of patience and time aswell and probably the same amount of set up as other techniques.

Wow that neck is mohogany? I was way off, I guess it was the pic, I just couldn't see the color. Thats cool though, I bet your project will turn out great. I wish I had a milling machine! Lucky! Good luck with the rest of it! Later. Jason

Yea, I wish I had a milling machine too. Thats just the realtively crappy one that's at his work. I go there at night to work on my guitar stuff if i need it.

Now if i do decide on painting the knobs what would you guys reccomend on using for it? I was thinking about just spraying on some high temp paint from pepboys. Preferably enamel paint...any input?

Awesome, ill test it out on some scrap aluminum.

I dont know if i should post this up in electronics but im sort of opposed to the aesthtic nature of an LP style pickup selector even though i was going to use it on this guitar. So i was thinking about using the 5-Way Rotary Switch similar to the ones on PRS's.

So my question was can i wire EMG-81 and 85 with the 5-Way Rotary Switch? Ive never really seen it done before but i think it would look more pleasing to the eye if i could use one of these switches.

Here's a link:

3 way rotary switch

The company's called jameco electronics. I've ordered from them several times. Expect to wait at least two weaks for it to arrive at your house. The shaft is really long so I ended up chopping off the top as the knobs I'm using have set screws. This switch is really cool because it's QPTT(quadruple pole, triple throw). You turn the switch once and it can change 4 different connections(in simplified terms). As a result you can have some really intricate setups. Best part is it's make before break so it's perfect for a guitar.

Thanks thegarehanman, i bought two, they jsut shipped today.

So i dont have access to a camera anymore so here are some old pics that my friend and i took. I did finish up the volume and tone knobs, but now i have to make the pickup selector knob.

Here was the photoshopped version of my guitar

Photoshoped_ESP.jpg

This is the preliminary drawing of what i wanted...i dont know if i want to carve the front anymore. probably jsut the arm area.

guitar-revised.jpg

Heres the SG in progress, this was taken while he was carving it. You can see we used a huge rasp and two smaller ones.

josh.jpg

Heres jsut a shot of the masking i did for carving the back of the guitar. But after i make the neck in going to recarve the bak so its a bit deeper.

kinda big picture

thanks Nouseforone. Im still contemplating wheather or not to actually carve those top areas.

ok so i got to some drawing today and sort of came up with what i want to inlay at the 12th fret. i had a different design that i planned to inlay on the fretboard but because i got a pre radiused board im unable to do such an intricate design.

heres my initial sketch.

12fret_sketch.jpg

heres a photoshopped version of how it should turn out. although, im looking for a different inlay material than abalone. something intresting.

12fret_PSed1.jpg

Inlay Material

Check this site out, it has so much different kinds of shell and inlay materials. I'm sure you'll find what you need there. Fryovanni put that link up in the supplies section, thanks for that man.

So good luck with finding what you need, and let us know if you do. Also I love that inlay, when I saw the photoshop pic I was amazed, thats probably pretty close to what it will look like, seriously amazing. Very nice design man. Good luck with that! Later. Jason