Bolt-on Necks - Neck Plate Vs. No Neck Plate

hey guys,

i'll be attaching the neck to my first project soon and this has come up. should i use a neck plate?

i'm thinking no, seeing as i want to keep this guitar as minimalistic as possible, as to better showcase the nice wood i got (imbuya). it is a fender style neck/joint...

so what are the advantages/disadvantages of using a neck plate and not using one?

thanks a bunch

hey guys,

i'll be attaching the neck to my first project soon and this has come up. should i use a neck plate?

i'm thinking no, seeing as i want to keep this guitar as minimalistic as possible, as to better showcase the nice wood i got (imbuya). it is a fender style neck/joint...

so what are the advantages/disadvantages of using a neck plate and not using one?

thanks a bunch

Well, one way to highlight the wood is by offering a contrasting color to 'frame' it--a neck nice shiny neck plate can give you that.

I think it depends on whether you want that kind of heel --personally, I think the bolt-on heel is too bulky, I prefer a set neck --so I'd go for a recessed ferrule/washer thing that will let you shave down the joint.

Well, one way to highlight the wood is by offering a contrasting color to 'frame' it--a neck nice shiny neck plate can give you that.

I think it depends on whether you want that kind of heel --personally, I think the bolt-on heel is too bulky, I prefer a set neck --so I'd go for a recessed ferrule/washer thing that will let you shave down the joint.

I haven't ever seen this, but you should route out the area under the plate so you can use a plate, but its edges are flush with the body. I like the look of plates, but I don't like how they stick out. That would be the best of both worlds.

I had actually considered doing that as well, but haven't done it because I don't have a plunge router base. I think it would be an awesome look.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

You don't have to have a plunge router to plunge route. You could drill your starter hole using a depth stop. Also, you can gently lower a router, while moving it side to side,taking away about 1/32" at a time until it's at it's final depth. On that note, it's not really a good idea to route out any deeper than 1/2 the width of your bit. For insance, you're using a 3/4" bit, then you route away 3/8" at a time.

i used to use plates on everything but after i did my first one with recessed ferrules i never used another one. just remember to use shorter screws..those pointy ends stickin' out of the fretboard make it hard to play. :D