Oh Boy It's An Oboe!

bluespresence

Bookmark this when looking into bagpipes later on.

http://scotwebstore.com/browse.html?category=403:view=0

They are apparently the biggest Scottish store in the world, so I doubt they're offering crap quality lol.

-Jamie

Cool site Jamie! I found this one last night (he's in the States):

HotPipes

I bought the practice chanter outfit #1 with the Green Book. I guess I won't be waiting to learn 'pipes :D I found this guy on eBay and he has a "nice" write up on poor quality 'pipes. The same write up is on his site if you poke around a bit. I'll bookmark your site also and in 6 months to a year when I'm ready for a set I'll contact them and see what they can do.

i couldnt ever be bothered with the pipes! something to do with hearing out of tune pipe bands and such too much! not that i discourage learning them, rock on!

i play guitar: 7 years, bass: 3 years, drums: on and off for ages and trumpet: 10 years

the hardest by far is the trumpet! i have played a didj and i must say ok it takes more air than a trumpet, but i regularly nearly pass out practising the trumpet from pressure headaches and such - high notes nail you. recently i have just found out my method has been wrong all my life and im breathing wrong and have the wrong high note method!

i have thought of playing oboe, but at the moment i wouldnt mind sax..i think...

whats the difference between a baritone sax and a lawnmower?

you can tune a lawnmower :D

i have opened myself up to many jokes now :D ill start

whats the difference between a trumpet and a chainsaw?

vibrato, but if you hold the chainsaw steadier you can eliminate this!

Mike

Wow Blues. You, my girlfriend and I seem to be the only ones :D I don't know anyone else that listens to the Real McKenzies.

There's one song, called Death of a Space Piper, and it sounds like a bagpipe with a whammy lol. Probably squeezing the bag a bit harder now and then.

-Jamie

To be honest, the Real McKenzies are quite famous in their genre... Funny band

Well, this is as bad as guitars! The wife already wants to play duets so I picked up another oboe. I went with this one because my research said it was old, very good and fairly hard to find.

Lemaire Oboe

I called the shop today and talked to the oboe guru and she wants me to bring it in ASAP.......I think I found a jem on eBay for once :D I hope it's in decent shape....."average condition" could mean anything but the pics look like it's in fairly good shape and the guy said it plays.

Here's hoping for a good investment!

Yep, those were the first things I noticed. When I was researching I could only find info that pointed to this being a very good and old instrument. After talking to the local shop they said the same thing and that's why they are interested in it. If it plays good after a tune up it may be worth a lot more than the few bucks I put into it. If you (or anyone) has info let me know.

Hmm...

I took violin lessons for a few weeks when I was 6 or so...that ended on a very sour note.

I took piano lessons for a year and a half when I was 10 or 12, quit because I was a stubborn kid, and have been regretting it.

Then High school came, and I auditioned for the musical, and the choir director sent out a hit squad to muscle me into the concert choir. I had started guitar seriously maybe a few weeks before this, and I started spending a lot of time in the music room at school.

I started playing piano again, fiddled with my old fiddle, relearned how to read music, messed around with both double basses and bass guitars, have become a decent guitarist, generally crappy drummer, and all-around fairly competent musician. I've got a French Horn on loan from the band teacher for the summer, and have to get around to figuring the thing out.

I've also heard that oboe players tend to die young, usually from brain hemmorages. Apparently it's an awful lot a pressure in the head, and some folks just don't get used to it.

I've also heard that oboe players tend to die young, usually from brain hemmorages. Apparently it's an awful lot a pressure in the head, and some folks just don't get used to it.

I don't know if you're kidding or not but I can believe that one. I get the worst headaches when I play for more than 30 minutes.... :D

I picked up a cello this week too. Another instrument I've always wnated to play and never got around to. My upright bass has been sitting in the corner for quite a while getting lonely so it may have to find a new home soon......

I don't know if you're kidding or not but I can believe that one. I get the worst headaches when I play for more than 30 minutes.... :D

I picked up a cello this week too. Another instrument I've always wnated to play and never got around to. My upright bass has been sitting in the corner for quite a while getting lonely so it may have to find a new home soon......

I head it (the hemmorage bit) from a guy who spent quite a few years as a band instructor. I've chosen to trust his judgement, but I don't see myself playing any double-reeded instruments ever. You live in New Glasgow, in a province called Nova Scotia (New Scotland), you get sick of bagpipes real fast. :D

And a word of advice, get earplugs with bagpipes. In fact, get every member of your household, and all your neighbors some earplugs. Standing next to a piper is a recipie for tinnitus. We're talking louder than a Deep Purple concert B) .

Opera singers also supposedly don't live very long, and are subject to rampant obesity. Apparently they don't eat all day before an evening performence, gorge for a few hours after the show, then sleep for 10+ hours immediatly afterward. A shapely, attractive young female I know aspires to be a pro opera singer, and I gagged the first time I heard it. Such a waste... :D

PS: Cellos pwnz to the max!

Edited by Alarung

I've also heard that oboe players tend to die young, usually from brain hemmorages.  Apparently it's an awful lot a pressure in the head, and some folks just don't get used to it.

I'm not sure about that one, but it is a fact that every french horn player will have at least one nervous breakdown during their lives. Being a french horn player is EXTREMELY stressful. Very difficult instrument and VERY important parts.

Opera singers also supposedly don't live very long, and are subject to rampant obesity. Apparently they don't eat all day before an evening performence, gorge for a few hours after the show, then sleep for 10+ hours immediatly afterward. A shapely, attractive young female I know aspires to be a pro opera singer, and I gagged the first time I heard it. Such a waste...

Really? I heard that Pavoratti eats pasta before he sings.

I can't stand opera singing to be honest. The closest to it that I can stand is maybe Tarja Turunen from Nightwish.

I was watching this show a month ago hosted by Sir Tony Robinson on the History network talking about the worst jobs ever in history. One of them in the victorian ages (I think it was then) was being a male opera alto singer or something like that. They had one recording of it, and man was it ever annoying (because it's not part of our era of music). Apparently to get the job, they had to at a young age have a circumcision, and everyday for 10 years practice, practice, practice, and they didn't live long compared to the average man I believe.

For the bagpipes, get earplugs. A few pipers I know don't use them, they've been playing for 15+ years, and they seem to not have a problem, but still, when you have an instrument that was heard on a battlefield with 1000s of guns going off, I'm sure it'll do wonders to your ears.

I haven't heard the bagpipes as being stressful or harmful to any other body part or anything like that. Half the pipers I know at highland games do a practise run, then do the opening act (2 songs), then get drunk, then do the closing act. Maybe it's the booze that helps. Good ol' Grandpas cough medicine.

Not sure if this is true, but I heard that the majority of the bagpipe players in world war 2 (maybe even ww1 too, I forget), were shot in the back. So careful bluespresence! Keep your enemies close but your friends even closer :D

-Jamie

Edited by sepultura999

Really? I heard that Pavoratti eats pasta before he sings.

I was watching this show a month ago hosted by Sir Tony Robinson on the History network talking about the worst jobs ever in history. One of them in the victorian ages (I think it was then) was being a male opera alto singer or something like that. They had one recording of it, and man was it ever annoying (because it's not part of our era of music). Apparently to get the job, they had to at a young age have a circumcision, and everyday for 10 years practice, practice, practice, and they didn't live long compared to the average man I believe.

Hmm. I could be wrong on the food bit, but as a singer, I wouldn't eat pasta before a performance. Too gooey. Coats your throat.

I've heard so many nasty stories about male singers in the middle ages. Castrati Sopranos... eyuck.

Because women weren't permitted to sing in opera\church and the like, they had younng boys sing the soprano parts. And if they were good, then they'd usually end up castrated before puberty. And the kids never quite grew up. Not quite man, not quite woman, not quite child, not quite adult...

It hurts just THINKIN about it :D .

Primal: Horn is stressful? Thanks for the warning! I don't need no more stress. :D

Edited by Alarung

Ummmm......OUCH!!!

I cured the oboe overpressure headaches today. I was using a soft synthetic reed and switched to a medium hard "real" reed.....what a difference in pressure (actually lower although it would seem it would be harder to blow) and sound. The sound is amazing and the low notes are crystal clear now. I even practiced for an hour before my embouchure (whatever!) gave out.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER USE SYNTHETIC REEDS! Hahaha! That is the Golden Rule of woodwind instrument playing. Most synthetic reeds sound like poo, unless you pay top dollar for one. And even then, I didn't even know they made synthetic reeds for double reed instruments. Stick to real reeds. :D

The guy at the store gave me 2 synthetics (and one real one) for free when I bought the oboe. He said most beginners use them because they are supposedly easier to blow but at the cost of sound and tone. I figured that was OK so I could get used to playing and then worry about sound. So much for that logic!! They sound like crap and they are harder to blow than a natural reed!!

There are also synthetic reeds available for the bagpipe. I use a synthetic in my chanter. Since it doesn't go in your mouth they say it will last for years.....we'll see about that!

I first learned on a recorder, twas my first instrument. I started playing clarinet just before I started highschool, just working on playing the thing before learning the fingerings. I picked up the alto sax the same year. I played the tenor sax as well during grade 11 in prep for a local theater production that I was in the following summer. In grade 12 I picked up the oboe as my minor instrument for the music class. I picked up the guitar after I finished grade 10 and have played it since. I major on alto sax and clarinet. I played the bari sax for my senior highschool band in my extra year of school.