Neck Profiles - Whats The Difference?

Hi Folks

Another newbie here, so please go gentle on me!

I'm thinking about making my first guitar, although I'm a bit lost regarding neck profiles. I recently got some Radius Gauges, which I've used to determine (from measuring several different guitars) the fingerboard radius I'd like to use, is there such a thing for comparing profiles. To be honest I wouldn't know a C from a V to a U. :D

I know that sound really dim, cos they're bound to look like the letters do, but can you get some sort of measuring gauge which you can offer up to the neck of any given guitar to determine which category it would fall into? I guess what I'm saying is until I see the cross section of each profile, I'm stumped.

If anyone could help it'd be most appreciated, there may be some online diagrams somewhere to download?

Cheers in advance. Once I find this out, I'll be hacking up tree's for the body like there's no tomorrow!!

Mark

Since we're talking about such things, I had a question I've been meaning to ask, too--

In offset neck profiles, is the fatter side normally toward the high E or the low E?

Welcome to the site, Mark!

Greg

Hey Mark, I would like to know the same thing. I was thinking about it and here is what I think or what I will do on mine. I would find the thickness I want for the neck including the fretboard once it's attached, then using the thickness I would shape down the sides from there.

Say I wanted a v, I would leave the middle at say 21mm at the first fret then shave down the sides to make the profile a v. That way you keep the neck the same in thickness and such, but would have a slightly different feel. I might do a v because I like a thicker neck, and a v might let me have the thickness but still give me easy reach across the board, although I want to make sure it won't start hurting my hand after playing for a while.

Well I thought I had a page that showed the profiles of the different cuts but I can't find it. I'll look for it though and if I find it I will post in on here, maybe someone else has a pic or link to that page or a similar page. Good luck with your neck, hope it works out for you. I will post more if I can find that info! Later. Jason

High G?

:D

Trust me, I meant High E. :D

It would make sense that the 'worn out' part would be the thumb side. I've tried imagining it both ways and I can't imagine which would be more comfortable for me, though. I might have to give'er a rough try on some scrap 2X4 or something.

I always liked the hard V contour on my dad's acoustic, so there's that possibility, too. No U shape for me, though, I know that much.

Greg

Could be. Although (and I don't expect anyone to be a mind reader to have known this for certain even though it makes sense) if I were talking about a bass, I would have dispensed with the word "high" altogether and asked, "Is it on the E side or the G side"?

Greg

Could be.  Although (and I don't expect anyone to be a mind reader to have known this for certain even though it makes sense) if I were talking about a bass, I would have dispensed with the word "high" altogether and asked, "Is it on the E side or the G side"?

Greg

Perhaps he was meaning a piccolo bass. :D

Seriously though, perhaps what he meant was that it would not be symmetrical with the symmetrical line right along the middle of the neck, between d and g strings so to speal, but slightly more in the direction of the high e, which would be - with a bit of visualization - under the high g string? Anyway...

Cheers unclej, thats exactly what I was looking for as a strating (pardon the spelling and the pun all at once!) point....

Mark

happy to help.