Project Saga

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghost flames.  Now that would be cool.

Very, and the best thing is I don't have to airbrush for them. I can just tape up and spray my thinned blue batch. Not sure how much thinner I am going to mix, but I am experimenting.

I have also been aging a little but of lacquer by letting it sit in the sun. Hasnt changed much though(cloudy for the past 2 days). I -may- use some aged lacquer on this guitar for the clear. Dunno yet :D

Unless your lacquer is in a completely 100% sealed jar, throw it away. Even if it is, throw it away anyway, because it wasn't as sealed as you thought it was.

The cloudiness is a sign that moisture (water vapor) has been absorbed into the lac, and it is now useless. And with the humidity we've had on the East Coast lately, little wonder.

Why are you doing silly things like that anyway? :D

A little of the right amber dye will fake aged lacquer DEAD ON, and you don't have to do silly things like that anymore. :D

PS, you're carve is quite beautiful, you are going to make a great guitar builder one day. (and I don't pass out compliments like that very often, but your skills, even at this early stage, are there, I can see them at work. B) )

thegarehanman-Yeah it does, I guess the saga company does that to save money or wood? Who knows

Drak-It's 100 percent sealed. I used that plastic wrap crap stuff, then the lid then more plastic crap with a 2 rubber bands to hold it down.

Yes, I'm throwing it out as of now :D No cloudiness though, it's been sitting in the AC with me lol.

True about the amber dye, but you know, I was just experimenting a little bit.

B) Thanks Drak. :D Atleast I hope to be a great building :D I do trust the words of Drak though! You have never let me down with your words or advice. Thanks SO much for the compliments, what can I say? B)

Edited by AlGeeEater

hey dude thats pretty sweet.  From the pics I had seen the saga's old finish wasn't THAT bad was it?  maybe they were just really good pics.  but anyways, good stuff.

Thanks. Yeah, it was pretty bad. The pics don't do anything for seeing it in person. I wasnt sure how to sand a craved top without going thru the top or something like that. I was paranoid, dunno haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
The A string is a little messed up, and if it werent for that they would have been perfect.

ADVICE: ALWAYS punch in (tap) a marker dot with a nail or some other sharp tool before you drill your holes.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

I WAS using a brad point bit, but the thing is the mark I had was a little bit off, so that really wouldnt have helped :D

Yeah Russ, those are the ones I am getting. I think i'm going to try to use them for the bottom ones too. I am too lazy to drill them out :D I'll try and fix it that way, thanks for the suggestions. Hell, it may not even be noticable with the ferrules on, who knows?

Edited by AlGeeEater

Well, you're going to be painting this a solid color, right? (that's how you're going to hide those dowels...?)

So you might consider just filling yer A hole (tee hee) and redrilling it correctly --think about it...with the ferrules, you'll have to get all six in line again...might just be easier fixing the single hole...

Yeah Russ, those are the ones I am getting. I think i'm going to try to use them for the bottom ones too. I am too lazy to drill them out :D I'll try and fix it that way, thanks for the suggestions. Hell, it may not even be noticable with the ferrules on, who knows?

You'll have to drill again for the back side ferrules anyway - they're larger than the top ones.

back

That is, unless you want the ball ends of the strings to hang out the back :D

Well, you're going to be painting this a solid color, right? (that's how you're going to hide those dowels...?)

So you might consider just filling yer A hole (tee hee) and redrilling it correctly --think about it...with the ferrules, you'll have to get all six in line again...might just be easier fixing the single hole...

Yep solid color. I'll redrill it. I just need a small enough dowel size. I also am going to drill out the ferrules and fix them. I have a feeling the super glue I used is moving a lot because they popped up, so i'll use titebond this time B)

mikhailgtrski- I was going to put the top ferrules on the bottom eliminating having to drill the hole bigger :D Lazy? Yes :D

If it doesnt work then I'll just do it the correct way.

Well sure, it will "work" as long as you don't mind the ball ends sitting proud of the body. A funky setup, for sure, plus it'll scratch up your belt buckle :D

Several ways to do this, but here's what worked for me:

1. Drill the string-through holes perpendicular to the back with a 3/32" bit.

2. Set the drill press table at 3 degrees angle (to match the carve top) and re-drill with a 5/32" bit, just deep enough for the top ferrules.

3. Put the table back to 0 degrees and re-drill the back side with a 5/16" brad point bit, deep enough for the back ferrules.

Somehow I drilled the G a little off line from the others - should be enough lip on the ferrule to cover it, though :D

Edited by mikhailgtrski

Well sure, it will "work" as long as you don't mind the ball ends sitting proud of the body.  A funky setup, for sure, plus it'll scratch up your belt buckle  B)

Yep I dont really care personally. Plus basswood is hella soft so the ball ends diggin into soft wood isnt a good idea.

I dont even have a belt buckle :D :D