Wow...

Primal

So, I just upgraded my EMGs in my bass from 9v to 18v and I must say... I am QUITE impressed. I mean, it's like I have a whole new instrument now. I can actually find usable tones when playing with the pickup pan. The bass just seems more lively. All in all, it was an EXCELLENT upgrade. Just thought you all might like to know that. :D

:D

It did for me. To my ears, the sound seems to have more definition and more clarity. Before the sound was kind of muffle, whereas now its like someone took the blanket off my amp. On a side note, now all I have to do is get a BBE Sonic Maximizer!

it had the effect of making mine sound more brittle.i prefer the 9 volt

Yea, I can see how if your system was already bright enough for you that making it MORE bright and crisper would make it sound brittle.

well..it is an all mahogany guitar...so i would not call it bright(though it is very defined..good dense pieces of mahogany)

there was just an indescribable thinness...and the bottom end was a bit mushy.i took away one battery and it was much better.

i don't really know why.

Can I use multiple batteries?

Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

Directly from the EMG site

That was for Drak and Primal, as an EMG user I expected you to know that.

Yea, I read that, too. I just said supposedly because I'm always skeptical about things, haha. Perhaps they just SAID it was originally designed for 18v...

At any rate, I think that the 18v upgrade is essential for basses now. The sound is so much better.