Number 2 In The Hopper...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking, but I dont know what kind of burl to use to get that kind of grain..

they mostly look like your first one...

Keep an eye on this guy's eBay store. Fraser Valley Fine Woods He has a lot of great wood coming through there for reasonable prices. If I'm not mistaken, I got the top from him. Of course, that was 2 years ago so I might very well be mistaken. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Outstanding work!! Very inspiring!!

Did you have to do anything special to prevent the dye from soaking into the binding?

Standard "faux" binding technique which I learned right here on this forum. Mask everything except the edge and shoot a couple coats of lacquer just on the binding edges. Let it dry and pull off the tape. When you go to lay down the dye, it won't soak into the lacquered edges. Voila! Instant binding...

Speaking of this build being bumped...Toddler! Where's new stuff!?

Chris

Funny you should ask... I've just started working on a double neck version of this same guitar for the same guy. When I've got something to show, I'll definitely start a new thread.

This one's gonna have the same purpleheart and walnut laminates in the neck, but the maple will be replaced by mahogany. It'll probably also have a tiger maple top instead of burl, but it will still be dyed purple. Not sure about the rest of the hardware etc... still kind of up in the air right now.

I always thought that purpleheart held up well, but this convinces me beyond a reasonable doubt. I am so glad this thread was bumped cause it has given me inspiration to actually put a colored transparent finish over a burl. At one time, I thought that was sacrilege. Love the neck. Love the photos. Thanks!