I Need Help With My Ibanez

any help would be very appreciated.

i have an rg 420 with floating bridge, and i was restringing it and being used to strats i took all the strings off, i didnt restring one at a time, when i got the e, a, and d off the bridge practically snapped back real hard, but nothin looks hurt. now i have the new strings on and its literally impossible to get in tune ive tried for hours. pleeeease help me.

thanks

nate

There's a tutorial on how to setup the guitar in the main section of the site.

Then did you change the gauge or it is the same?

Did you stretch the strings?

Did you change anything in the tremolo setup?

i changed the gauge from 9's to 10's, but im gonna get 9's, didnt change trem setup, i did stretch strings. when im tuning i start with low e then go from there, but when you tighten a string it puts more tension on the bridge so by the time im done tuning the high e the low is out of tune because the other strings have put more tension on the trem. and its continuous ill tune the low e side again and the higher strings will get out of tune, so potentially i could keep tightening forever trying to get everything in tune but lol obviously that wouldnt be right

nate

To set up correctly your trem I believe you should change the spring with different kind. I have a guitar equipped with 09 - 42 and one with 09 - 46. The springs are bigger on the 09 -46.

i changed the gauge from 9's to 10's, but im gonna get 9's, didnt change trem setup, i did stretch strings. when im tuning i start with low e then go from there, but when you tighten a string it puts more tension on the bridge so by the time im done tuning the high e the low is out of tune because the other strings have put more tension on the trem. and its continuous ill tune the low e side again and the higher strings will get out of tune, so potentially i could keep tightening forever trying to get everything in tune but lol obviously that wouldnt be right

nate

\

that is the way it works.that's what makes it a floating trem.but also you need to adjust the trem claw tension in the back of the guitar.

you should really read those setup pages on the main site.and no,you probably don't need "bigger springs"

Use the trem arm to bring the bridge plate slightly above parallel (press down) with the body, then tune half a step sharp. Once you let go of the arm, the plate will fall back parallel with the body and you should be close to tuned. It will save you hours of winding the pegs.

Larger springs have nothing to do with it.

Since you changed from 9's to 10's you have to tighten the screws on your claw. Tighten so the claw moves about 1/8 inch closer to the body at first, then a bit more if necessary.

When I’m first setting up a floating trem I will tune it a bit different, wind up your strings until the bridge is in the approx. correct position. Start to tune your strings but instead of going e,a,d,g,b,e. Tune both e's, then move in skipping strings etc... This will help with your problem with the bridge tension, saves a bit of time.

After this, if you still cant figure it out read this site;

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm