Ran Out Of Excuses Not To Build....

Well, I had to necesitate the rent on the shop this month so I started my 3rd guitar a couple of weeks ago. This was my first atempt at a drop top, and with help from Drak, I think it might actually turn into "something" (BTW, Drak, the info on dropping down a grit when sanding really made a difference). This one is really just a conglomoration of trying a few new things:

First drop top

First 7 piece laminate neck

First time spraying paint that wasn't in a rattle can

First go at veneering

So on to the progress pics, though I didn't get pics till just today. :D

guitar3002.jpg

Body shot

Headstock

Neck

The pics of the headstock are supposed to show the "carve" or decline in the middle of the headstock itself. I plan to veneer this but have stalled at what would be the appropriate method to use. I would like to simple apply the veneer and then while the glue is wet xacto knife it to fall into the recessed area. I am afraid the glue may set while I am goofing with it though! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Take it easy fellas :D

Nate Robinson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I'm kind of ashamed of myself for that. I had a couple of hours of spare time at the shop waiting for some replacement window sashes to set up - so I decided to have a go at the guitar. But....I didn't use the time to make myself a nice set of pup templates, instead I just put down some masking tape and freehanded the routes. I should have just made those templates, but impatience got the best of me.

Nate Robinson

They don't look bad at all, but the top ones do look a little off sized, although it could definately be the pic. Not the humbucker but the top 2 single coils, are they a little big? Or are they for a different sized pickup? I can't tell really, they look good though and the guitar overall looks very cool and clean. I guess you are using a pickguard, so the size and look might not matter, but thats just a guess. Good luck with that project it looks very good so far. Jason

Jmrentis, you are absolutely right. They are oversized, the last time I did pup routes I cut em so tight it was damn hard to get the wiring through to the switch. And looking closer it does seem that the neck and middle routes are different, (though they were supposed to be the same. B) Will have to check on that in the morning).

And yes it will be the unwilling recipient of the hardware from my first burn, er... build. As such it will have a standard strat hardware setup including full on pickguard. On that note my wife asked my why I spent $20 on a top just to cover it with the same old hardware I already had! I replied, "yes dear, you are absolutely right, next time I will go full in and get the good stuff." At least I might get one righteous guitar built before she gets wind of the bill for hardware! :D:D:D

Nate Robinson

"yes dear, you are absolutely right, next time I will go full in and get the good stuff." At least I might get one righteous guitar built before she gets wind of the bill for hardware!

:D:D I think what you are doing is cool, and you could always swap out the stuff for new stuff. As long as you buy the same style pickguard, or make your own from a pickguard blank. So yeah it did look like they were a pinch big but as you said with the pickguard it's no big deal at all, and you still will get some figure showing, although it does look nice without one or even clear one.

My cheap ibanez has a swimming pool route, where it's routed all the way from right up to the neck route to down near where the bridge is, so I have to have a pickguard. So I don't think it matters at all if yours are a little big.

Seriously though I like the look of it, very cool color, figure and design overall. So keep us updated as you go through the rest of the process. And whenever your wife tells you to buy better stuff , DO IT MAN, thats the only way to get stuff without her mentioning the mony you spent on the build. Just say "I was just doing what you suggested dear". Haha funny stuff man, good luck with everything. Jason

I REALLY Like The Way that Look's :D

So Are You Doing A Sunburst?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

This is kinda what I have in mind for the paint.

guitar3005.jpg

I guess It would be a white burst. I haven't seen anything like it before, but I really didn't get serious about looking either. Kinda reminds me of a bottle of Malibu rum for some reason. I'll be using acrylic automotive paint, as a bunch of it came with the shop. :D The guy who had it before used it as a spray booth for semi trucks I guess.

Thanks for the kind words and as always all opinions are welcome.

Nate Robinson

I've done things like that before,don't sweat it. Thats a cool finish though, I haven't seen something like that before. Which remidns me, has anyone ever seen liek a reverse sunburst before.. like red in the middle and then orange and then yellow in the outside? I just thought it was a neat idea :D

Right, It is a flat top. Sorry for using the wrong term. Since this was the first time I have done a cap, I decided not to go all the way down the rabbit hole, just keep it simple and not get in over my head.

On another note, today was my first practice run at spraying with a gun.

It was pretty well a distaster, but that was expected. The most difficulty I had was getting a wet coat without a running coat. Will be doing a lot of searching of the Inlay and Finishing Section tonight!

Anybody have any thoughts about glueing veneer on two intersecting planes? Still haven't tackled the veneer on the headstock.

Thanks fellas, Take it easy.

Nate Robinson

On another note, today was my first practice run at spraying with a gun.

It was pretty well a distaster, but that was expected.  The most difficulty I had was getting a wet coat without a running coat.  Will be doing a lot of searching of the Inlay and Finishing Section tonight!

Sounds like you are either spraying TOO close to the body and not moving it fast enough, or you have the "fluid valve" opened to much. How far away from the object are you spraying?

I tried to stay 8 inches away.  Fluid valve is open 3/4 of the way and the fan is set at maybe 80%.  High probability I'm moving too slowly.  But then I didn't expect to get anything good out of the first practice section.

Alright. You can either spray farther away from the object or speed up your passes. Control the gun, don't let it control you :D .

I started a 40psi, then fluctuated from 20 to 60, but 35 seemed to work the best. Of course during this time I was also adjusting the fluid valve. So at this point I have a paint booth chock full of either dusty or runny scraps! If I had to bet on it I would bet my hand was just to unsteady.