Ran Out Of Excuses Not To Build....

I started a 40psi, then fluctuated from 20 to 60, but 35 seemed to work the best.  Of course during this time I was also adjusting the fluid valve.  So at this point I have a paint booth chock full of either dusty or runny scraps!  If I had to bet on it I would bet my hand was just to unsteady.

Yep, you just gotta get in there and find out what works for you. Just like spraying, you will find what works best for you. I did! :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran across another pitfall today. I decided to have a look at the materials available already in the shop for the clear coat. What I found was a crap load of Imron by DuPont. After reading LGM's tut on painting, it sounds like this stuff is far more toxic than I care to deal with. I think that a composite polyurethane is probably what I would like to use. The big question I have is that I'm not sure of the total mix ratio. Most of them seem to be a 4:1 of paint to hardener, but I'm unsure of whether reducers, hardeners, or accelerators should be added to this ratio or within it. Beyond that my concerns are:

A) is a reducer advantageous in clear ( as I found it to be in the base coat)

:D) is anti fisheye necessary

C) Can the clear be thinned, if so what is the correct product to use.

On that note I'm using acrylic enamel for the base coat, is that just thinned with solvent or a special thinner.

My searches aren't producing much, since I don't think I know enough about the terminology is to be able to understand what can (or can't) be substituted for what. I bought a couple of books on automotive painting, but both authors seem to have the impression that I already know my ABC's, so not much help as of yet.

TIA :D

Nate Robinson

I've done things like that before,don't sweat it. Thats a cool finish though, I haven't seen something like that before. Which remidns me, has anyone ever seen liek a reverse sunburst before.. like red in the middle and then orange and then yellow in the outside? I just thought it was a neat idea :D

Never a complete reverse sunburst, but I have recently seen a pic on eBay of an old Electra guitar that is done the way n8rofwvo wants this one done - it was black in the center that faded into a white border, sunburst style. I think its a great look.. if it werent for the soft edge, it would look like a sort of full-body pickguard.

Well, I got the headstock veneered and decided to re-dye the flat top. No progress on paint yet, as I am still practicing on scrap. I'm getting marginally better every session, and haven't been really disappointed in myself yet. Hopefuly, it continues on this course.

FrettingBoard8.jpg

Veneered Head (sorry for poor pic)

Veneered Headstock

Veneering resulted in some bubbles that were easily takin care of by searching the forum. Got the fretboard slotted today and am awaiting a shipment from stewmac before proceeding.

Nate Robinson :D

• 11 months later...

I've been very busy the last six months with the wife pregnant and moving and a million other things but here's the latest on this one. A neighbor had the opportunity to have an item pinstriped as part of an exhibition that Tom Kelly was a part of... Here are the results.

Pinstripeonblue.jpg

I've been very busy the last six months with the wife pregnant and moving and a million other things but here's the latest on this one. A neighbor had the opportunity to have an item pinstriped as part of an exhibition that Tom Kelly was a part of... Here are the results.

Pinstripeonblue.jpg

Gorgeous. I prefer the new colour scheme much more, and that pinstriping is just awesome.

Great job!

WHY, why, why!?! Why did you have to ruin such a beautiful guitar? It used to look so good... I really don't like the new colors and the pinstriping... Well it's your guitar...whatever makes you happy... :D

Personally I think you're crazy - that has to be one of my favourite paint jobs I've seen on this board.

I think it came out wonderfully - Mr. Kelly just has an eye for lines that I just don't posses... at least in the same time frame. Right now there are 6 coats of laquer under the pinstripe. I will have to keep shooting on laquer to level the surface, though I don't really know how many coats it will take. If i run my finger over the stripping I can barely feel it, so I don't think It'll take to much laquer to bring it all together.

Say, does anybody have any thoughts about sealing the pinstripe on the pickguard? I tend to be heavy handed and I think I could ruin the paint in about 2 hours. I was thinking thinned down epoxy but don't really know.

Thanks all,

I think it's beautiful mate - really great job he's done there!

Say, does anybody have any thoughts about sealing the pinstripe on the pickguard? I tend to be heavy handed and I think I could ruin the paint in about 2 hours. I was thinking thinned down epoxy but don't really know.

Go to a local signmaker and ask thm for a piece of clear calandered vinyl - apply it to the scratch plate and trim the edges. Protected.

Thank you all for the comments. I wouldn't have thought to pinstripe an instrument... but when the opportunity presented itself I thought, " Well I have plenty of sandpaper". But for whatever reason the pinstripe just does it for me. The grain isn't showing well now because it was sanded at 320 to remove the overspray of white. I'll try to get a pic of it with a little naptha to give a better idea of the finished product.

Chunkielad, thanks for the idea. That may well be the direction to go, I'll investigate it further this week.

Chunkielad, I did a little checking into it and your idea looks like it will work great, Thanks!

Glad to be of service - I'm a signmaker myself over here in the UK so I was sure it'd work. One suggestion is to either fit the vinyl wet or get a signmaker to fit it.

The water you use is just a garden spray bottle with one or two drops of cheap washing up liquid (no more than two drops) and a tea spoon of meths. The liquid breaks surface tension and the meths helps it all evaporate. You get to take the vinyl back off before squegie time if it's not right then. Make sure you get rid of every last bit of water and tada!

Edited by chunkielad