Best Way To Remove A Nut?

I would score the bottom and sides first with a sharp hobby knife . Im no expert but this should help with removeing the nut cleanly , and help with not damageing the finish .

Maybe do a search too , the experts here know a great deal of nice tricks .

Hey man, don't believe what kinda of strange weird trick you have to do. The advice Southpa gave you is one of the methods a lot of folks use. If it is a Fender like nut, give it some rap with a small chisel from the side. You should get rid of it easily.

If the wrapping and tapping isn't getting you anywhere. For stubborn nuts I jewelers saw directly down the middle of the nut [------------------------] <-- nut :D Stopping just short of sawing down to the wood of the nut cavity. Try the wrapping and tapping again, it'll be more likely to break free with less mass in the middle restricting it's movement.

Even in the worst CA glue cases you should be able to get it out in two pieces this way.

Edited by Gorecki

I use my fret pullers sometimes, and get a good squeeze on it while gently rocking it back and forth until you hear that glorious cracking sound. I prefer jiggling and rocking it to tapping it. With blunt blows you're more likely to take some wood and/or finish with it.

Definitely score the finish if there is any around it. Some guitars are finished before the nut is installed so then it doesn't matter. But you can't expect a finish to crack right along the line of the nut unless you score it. I'll usually score it a little above the nut line. Then the nut breaks free, but I have a little finish bump I can file down to total perfection. So the new nut sits flush with the old finish.

Dan Erlewine once illustrated the "saw in half" method and said to just pinch them together with pliers from the top. I can't see that working all that well. I'd think its more likely to break into pieces. If you do saw it in half, I'd say give it a sharp tap, instead of squeezing it together.

Sweet, that came out very very clean! i removed the truss rod cover and the nut hangs over the truss rod hole which gave me a good spot to wiggle it with my needle nose plyers. it was kind of tough to grab from the side because one side is flat, the other curved, being a gibson style nut. i scored everything with the finest razor i could find just in case, even though the guitar was finished prior to the nut being put on. i taped a business card flush against the nut to protect the fretboard from anything. i grabbed the nut on either side and gently wiggled it free from the glue then went back to the middle and it came out really nice. Thanks for all the help!

Edited by jaguarcat311