Wood Matching?

I got my carvin neck it's pretty pale mahogany... I was planning on doing a full mahogany guitar in tung oil.

I was wondering if i have any chances of being able to find mahogany the same tint/colour at my wood yard... It's pretty big though and i hope to find some there by bringing the neck.

Thanks

If it were me, I'd prefer the contrast. As long as they were the same basic hue, I think it would be cool if the body was a lot darker. Even if you stained the body with a real light shade and mizture of a chocolate brown, I think that would be great.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can find a piece that's close enough to fool everyone. But you have to see the wood fresh cut. If the piece has been out for awhile, the surface will darken a little. So if you found an exact match, you may find the body to actually be lighter once you've worked it. So maybe bring a little 120 grit in your pocket and hit the corner a little.

I got my carvin neck it's pretty pale mahogany... I was planning on doing a full mahogany guitar in tung oil.

I was wondering if i have any chances of being able to find mahogany the same tint/colour at my wood yard... It's pretty big though and i hope to find some there by bringing the neck.

Thanks

I'm somewhat new here been lurking alot so forgive me if my post is wrong?

(disregard my stupidity)))) I had Maple on my mind

Mike

I see that your neck is Mahogany, Man Im blind!! LOL

Good luck on the match.

If you dont mind me asking though what was the upcharge for the Mahogany neck from Maple and also the lead time?

Thanks in advance

MK

Edited by MiKro

the upcharge is 30$ and the guy said it would be 1 month build time (and that's with no inlays too)... Naturally, being Carvin, I GOT the neck 3 weeks later.

anyways... I'm getting my wood sunday so i'll see then :\

Thanks, I called them after I got online and they quoted me $45 upcharge and 8weeks.

So you got a deall. I'm glad someone does. I guess it's either do it myself when I start or spend the $.

Thats nuts? I don't mind the $45 but $30 sounds better, But 8 weeks? I can muck up at least 3 necks in that time LOL:))

LOL:)))

Thanks again.

Mike K

just another question... I just cut my headstock and i can definately see the difference between the cuts and the rest of the headstock... When I finish the neck, will there still me a difference in color?

PR3,

a pic would help. They may have stained the wood and now with your RAW cut it is much lighter. I t mat only require a simple clear coat also. Try some water or mineral spirits on the raw wood to see if it matches. If not then stain has been added, then yo have to figure out what color stain and try and match.

MK

Edited by MiKro