Algee's Tele Project

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setch- Now that you mention that, it DOES look like a horses head. I really didnt have that in the plans, but I just wanted the headstock to flow with the body. I think this calls for a Galloping Horse inlay at the 12th fret huh? B)

I agree, Crafty. Horses, country music, they go hand in hand! :D

Jay 5- I'm going to do it freehand. I'm not going the whole slot, just near the anchor by the headstock. It needs to be a little bit deeper. I can still set up a fence though if I need it, but i'll give free hand routing a try. Truss rod already looks free hand routed already though. :D

You need the 3/8 router bit for the neck pocket, other than that it is coming along very nice.

I do think that the neck is a bit too high! I usualu try to leave about 1/8 between the body and the fret board, may be just thickness sand the neck with the robosander? Anyway, very good work.

You need the 3/8 router bit for the neck pocket, other than that it is coming along very nice.

I do think that the neck is a bit too high! I usualu try to leave about 1/8 between the body and the fret board, may be just thickness sand the neck with the robosander? Anyway, very good work.

I've gotten a 3/8 bit, but it was too big with the bearing on it, so I just used a 1/4. I think I'll put the 3/8 bit back on with the bearing and route it correctly, I didnt even think of that man, thanks for it.

It's not, it's just not sitting back far enough, I wish I could show you what I mean, but it's kinda hard. When I fix it you will be like "Ohhh!" :D

Thanks.

OK, I need your opinion guys. I was cutting the headstock out today, to the proper depth. I got it to 1/2" thick, but then took the sander to it to get some chatter marks out of it. Now it's about 7/16" at the skinniest point. I mean, if it's too thin, tell me. I have no problem getting a new neck. Hell, if I work on it Thursday afternoon I can probaly get the neck neck at the same stage this necks on. It's no big deal, but overnight shipping is a bitch :D

DSC01966.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC01964.jpg

It looks fine, it's just too thin I'm afraid...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm keeping the same neck, i'll porblay get a headstock plate and somehow get it to be curvey like the strat headstocks near the truss rod adjustment.

I did that on mine first by getting most of it off with a fret saw, then using a chisel to get the right radius, just used a sander then to smooth it off. The ideal tool though is a drum sander I would think.

OK, I'm keeping the same neck, i'll porblay get a headstock plate and somehow get it to be curvey like the strat headstocks near the truss rod adjustment.

I did that on mine first by getting most of it off with a fret saw, then using a chisel to get the right radius, just used a sander then to smooth it off. The ideal tool though is a drum sander I would think.

That's what I was thinking, thank god I bought the Robo-Sander, it'll server as my drum sander. :D

I used a robo sander on my tele headstock and it worked well.

Looks like it worked well too. Mine came out fine too, but using a more conventional, time consuming method. Don't care if it's not perfect; it is hand made afterall.

Piece o' cake. You could go the bending iron route, but assuming you can't/won't do that, I suggest wetting the entire overlay, then laying it on the headstock, then claming a dowel(using spring clamps) over the area that the overlay needs to conform to. You'll need to go back every few hours to rewet it and possibly add more clamping pressure. This method worked for me on some 3/32" rosewood I used to backstrap the headstock of my current project. If it's just a really thin veneer, you can probably just moisten it and bend it by hand.

Thanks I'll try them! I've got to see how thick the laminates are. I was thinking about actually laying a veneer over the laminate, and finishing it in the same manner as the body. I've never liked matching bodies and headstocks, but i'm up to try anything new.

BTW, I just finished my fretbender, thanks Jay5!! :D

I just thought i'd bump this thread, and show you guys my next project after this one :D

Nextone.jpg

Hollow body carved top tele B) No "real" specs on it yet, although it'll be a carved top hollow body with binding on the body and neck, along with full blown inlays (I hope). I also amde about 30 spool clamps today :D I love them.

Oh, expect an update and pics tonight, i drilled the truss rod adjustment slot, silicone'd in the fretboard and may glue the fretboard on tonight.

So you are going to turn into a Tele guy? Nice set up, hope it turns out that good!

Yes, I actually already think i'm a tele man :D Thanks for the kind words!

I've actually always fancied superstrats too, maybe that'll be the next, next one :D

I drilled the truss rod adjustment hole last night. I also siliconed in the truss rod, which I couldnt get a good pic of, so whatever.

DSC01999.jpg

I probaly wont do anywork on it today, I've got a fundraiser to go to for my friend Chris who's got cancer.

Edited by AlGeeEater

I just thought i'd bump this thread, and show you guys my next project after this one :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...ter/Nextone.jpg

Hollow body carved top tele B) No "real" specs on it yet, although it'll be a carved top hollow body with binding on the body and neck, along with full blown inlays (I hope). I also amde about 30 spool clamps today :D I love them.

Oh, expect an update and pics tonight, i drilled the truss rod adjustment slot, silicone'd in the fretboard and may glue the fretboard on tonight.

Like the look of the next project man!!

Also glad to see this thing is definitly getting somewhere now, i can see this being a killer guitar when its finished!

Good luck with the rest of the build Algee

~~ TS ~~

Thanks TS B)

Well, yesterday I glued the fretboard on. I got kind of scared, because there was a gap between the fretboard join and the neck. I got scared, pulled up the fretboard and it curled. Turns out stupid me didn't realize that the edge of the neck wasnt exactly square, and if I had sanded the edges of the neck off it would have been fine, but you live and learn.

Right now, the neck and fretboard are buried under a foot of snow after I smashed it. :D I'll be making a new neck, hopefully one i'm actually happy with. I guess I have to keep my standards high, and I wasn't pleased with the neck. I guess i'm just a perfectionist...

Anyways, as soon as I get some cash i'll make the new neck. :D

Peace,

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

Thanks TS B)

Well, yesterday I glued the fretboard on. I got kind of scared, because there was a gap between the fretboard join and the neck. I got scared, pulled up the fretboard and it curled. Turns out stupid me didn't realize that the edge of the neck wasnt exactly square, and if I had sanded the edges of the neck off it would have been fine, but you live and learn.

Right now, the neck and fretboard are buried under a foot of snow after I smashed it. :D I'll be making a new neck, hopefully one i'm actually happy with. I guess I have to keep my standards high, and I wasn't pleased with the neck. I guess i'm just a perfectionist...

Anyways, as soon as I get some cash i'll make the new neck. :D

Peace,

Chris

Just remember this quote...

The man who makes no mistakes

does not usually make anything. (Edward Phelps)