Pick-up placement

Alchool

The only rule that I've ever heard is that neck pickups a typically placed so that the closest edge of the coil is right where the 24th fret is. You can see the problem there, if you have 24 frets, you have to move the pickup back a bit. But, it's true for all 22 fret guitars that I've seen.

So, I don't really think that there's any magic numbers for pickup placement. If it sounds good, do it I say.

i don´t know if this is just something i´ve made up, or actually read somewhere, i can´t remember where, but it´s got something to be with the vibration of the strings. in certain places it vibrates different, and so might be desireable to have the pick up placed there.

I'll take the outback approach and say "No rules just right" :D seems I see to many commericals for Outback steak house, anyway I've seen guitars with the pickups mounted away from the strings (yes solid body electrics and basses), even though it isn't a common practice.

I wonder if ole' Ronnie got that lil' gimmick from Ibanez...

When they came out with the Icemen in the late '70's, one option was a sliding pickup...hmmmmm........time period seems right, give him a few years to happen onto one...

Either way, Montrose Ruled...:D

PS, the only rule set in stone is to not put your bridge pkp too close to the bridge, or it'll get reeeel thin sounding...

i just measured distances from the bridge oh various guitar's and made a couple of choices, and for the neck pickup just shove it right up against the neck, unless it's a 21 fret neck or so, then i think the "rule" is pace the neck pickup 4 inches from the bridge one (center to center)

I wonder if ole' Ronnie got that lil' gimmick from Ibanez...

When they came out with the Icemen in the late '70's, one option was a sliding pickup...

One of the Gibson basses had one too.

:D

i just found out the source of my knowledge XD just kidding, but i remember reading it somewhere, and that is roger h siminoff´s book constructing a solid body guitar. it has nothing to do with melvyn hiscock´s but has got some more points of view to certain problems.

Anyway that´s page 40, if anybody else owns it, and it talks about where the strings vibrates with more amplitude in the different partials, it´s just briefly explained, and eventually just makes a division between the neck and the bridge pick ups, so isn´t a big deal....

that was it