Guitar Project Body On The Bay

Jehle

can anyone tell me what type of veneer this is?i'm meaning the 2 dark pieces at either side

b4_1_b.JPG

i'm making a six string j-bass like that,,and it took me months to find the perfect combonations of wood and colour...now i see this i like the wood

thanks

oh,and that strat is petty bad...i could make better :O lol

can anyone tell me what type of veneer this is?i'm meaning the 2 dark pieces at either side

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/cf/fe/b4_1_b.JPG

i'm making a six string j-bass like that,,and it took me months to find the perfect combonations of wood and colour...now i see this i like the wood

thanks

oh,and that strat is petty bad...i could make better :O lol

Could be black Walnut.

Edited by bluespresence

I would disagree.

I think (actually, I'm almost positive) he's stained it, so you can't go by the color.

I say it's Alder. The pic isn't clear enough to really peer into the grain of the wood, but what I can see looks like Alder more than anything, and if you stained Alder, I think it would look exactly like that.

Walnut has pores that look more like the center piece than the side pieces, Alder has pores (or lack of) more like the side pieces.

i tried reading the description,but it was forign.theres the body then the veneer,maybe it ment that the actual body is alder.

i see wat u mean by it being stained.but alder has way more pores than that,my jazz body has loads of pores,and i have a blank wich is alder,wich has less,but its still way more than the pic :s

this is all in my opinion,and i generally get things wrong lol.but it sorta has that smoothness like rosewood,rather than the porus alder.but i'm still interested on what it is,it looks good for a cowboy builder lol

so its walnut down the middle?after studying this picture,i have came up with a whole new colour scheme lol

Hmmm....I suppose. Thing that makes me think it's glued on is the fact the colour doesn't go all the way down the sides, and there's a pretty darn clean stain line. Based on the description of the auction, though, it's a South American wood (Brazilian made body, so it's all brazilian woods. They give you scientific names and everything) I'm not familar with (quick google shows me it's in the same family as the true and African mahoganies, Meliciae, and has about the same density as mahoganies, but that tells me diddly about working properties or tone). If I wanted something in that colour tone, I'd look for some nice black walnut.

Whitey: No, that's not Walnut down the middle. They're all south american woods, read the auction description for details. Also, alder's a pretty darn closed grain wood. Didn't need pore filler last time I checked. You know we're talking about the pores, dimples, right? Not what the grain looks like. You sure your bass body isn't Ash?

Also, every true rosewood has quite a few pores, ain't gonna be smooth unless you grain fill it.

Edited by mattia

i get wat u mean now,my grain is open like a hookers legs after she has been looked in a room for 10 years!lol.tho it was bought cheap,so i guess its not common for it to be that open,its filled now.i like that sceme anyway of colours,even if that guy thinks strat bidges curve,and make strat evolve into flying v's,its a pretty good scheme.

edit:have choosen woods for simaler style.purpleheart for the middle.the alder stripes,then walnut for the wings.should look good,rather than having a blue burst alder body as planed lol

Edited by whitey

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/cf/fe/b4_1_b.JPG

thanks

Nice thread hijack.

Edited by bluespresence