Wood Hardness

It looks like the folks down at the US Dept of Agriculture Forest Products Lab have been busy. Boy, you can tell I've taken a day of vacation and am completely bored. :D

Here is a publication on various woods and their properties including relative hardness. Table 4-3b (US woods) and Table 4-5b (imported woods) show the hardness stats (column on the far right labeled Side Hardness measured in pounds of force required to sink a steel ball with a diameter of 0.444" to half its thickness into the wood) :D

USDA Publication

In case you don't want to peruse the whole riveting article, here are some guitar-related hilites in relative hardness from softer to harder:

Western Red Cedar 310

Engelmann Spruce 390

Basswood 410

Alder 590

Mahogany 800

Big Leaf Maple 850

Ash 850-1320 (depending on the variety)

Walnut 1010

Sugar Maple 1450

Merbau 1500

Purpleheart 1860

Bubinga 2690

Brazilian Rosewood 2720

Indian Rosewood 3170

Ipe 3680

Lignum Vitae 4500 (ouch)

Lignum Vitae ? :D

How much HPs do I need in the electrical machines to cut it ?  :D

We might ask Hyunsu. I recall he was using lignum vitae for some part of a guitar - neck mabye?

I know it has been used for centuries in wooden mallets - the kind you use with chisels / gouges.

well, from what i heared softer more higher quality wood gives a better tone

Pffffft.

No basic physical specs are going to define the tone for ya in any sort of meaningful manner. All these numbers are, for one thing, averages. Different woods will have different tones, some won't have much of any tone (some woods just kinda go 'thunk' when ya bonk 'em, no ring to them), etc.

well, from what i heared softer more higher quality wood gives a better tone

Not really,

Lets take types of wood as examples and compare.

engelmann Spruce Soft & light/ tends to be bright

Sugar Maple Hard & heavy/ tends to be bright

Basswood- Soft and light/ tends to cut highs(warm tone)

The structure of the wood is more significant than its hardness. It is very true that every piece of wood will sound different. The values given are helpful to give you some general idea of what to expect, but there are many variables. As far as "better" tone that is a really subjective. A good tone wood may be a bad choice for your project if it doesn't have the tonal qualities you are trying to achieve. You may find a piece of wood that is not commonly used because of its typical properties, but the piece you find may sound great(like I said there are a lot of factors that can make wood sound good). Learn to trust your ears more than what you read B) , and stay open minded :D:D:D .

Peace,Rich

come on now, everyone knows tone is in your fingers

and your amp

Curtis

and the wood...and pickup selection...and hardware,tightness of tolerances,hardware,strings,capacitors,type of pick,what size room you play in,humidity,type of finish,and whether or not you are wearing shoes(i get better tone barefoot...gotta "connect" with the planet,ya know?)

wes, if your saying i went out in my birthday suit in the middle of a field with a battery powered amp (a decent one) and decent pickups, with the most "perfect" humidity, and using the "perfect" pick and the guitar was perfect, i would be the best guitarist out there, tone wise??

wow, see y'all in the headlines!

Curtis

wes, if your saying i went out in my birthday suit in the middle of a field with a battery powered amp (a decent one) and decent pickups, with the most "perfect" humidity, and using the "perfect" pick and the guitar was perfect, i would be the best guitarist out there, tone wise??

of course...that is exactly what i am saying...

isn't that what you do anyway?or am i the only one?

of course...that is exactly what i am saying...

isn't that what you do anyway?or am i the only one?

I agree 100% with Wes,

Getting naked and playing in a field will make you the best guitar player on that field. Tonally,Technichally and any other way 99.99% of the time. On the rare occasion you meat up with a group of naked guitarists on that field. Well you may not have the best tone, technique or what have ya, but if your guitar is made out of Lignum Vitae.... You may have the hardest wood on the field (or at least you better hope it's the hardest :D ).

Just FYI - lignum vitae's also the heaviest wood in the world. Maple averages about 40-45lbs per cubic foot. Lignum vitae averages about 85. It's TWICE as dense as maple - and people thing maple-bodied guitars are heavy :D.

It's also about the oiliest wood there is, which leads to its principle use - it's been used for a long, long time to make the bearings propeller shafts ride on at the hull in ships. The saltwater makes them swell and seal shut, but it's so oily that it lubricates the shaft and keeps it from binding. It's also terrifically strong, hard, and resistant to decay.