Good Idea To Make New Neck For Bc Rich?

Hughes

well if i understand your question correctly, im gonna get a piece of wood and use the template to get my neck shape and proper heel thickness and width, and carve the back like i like it and make the scale length the same as the old neck

Edited by Hughes

i like second oppinions...nothing wrong with that

Except you're into your 50th opinion now. Jeez, are you such a nervous nellie about everything else? :D

My take: you're not ready to START with a neck--start with a body instead.

If you really want a different headstock, then modify the existing headstock, it's a lot less complicated that making a neck from scratch.

lol believe me i did my share...i ruined 3-4 neck blanks already...but i guess i wont ask so many questions...haha

i also made a bass mockingbird body which i think is pretty nice...

haha 50th? more like 400, i dont have much money as most of you know so why waste it if im not ready? atleast my shop teacher didnt charge me anything for the ruined pieces...he only charges $4 a pop for one also which is pretty awesome

Edited by Hughes

I suggest you spend a little time researching the process of neck making - there's no reason to hose 4 blanks, unless you are doing something very wrong. 1 cockup is pretty standard, followed by a couple of slightly chunky attempts to avoid going to thin again... but chewing through 4 is stoopid. At the very least, the experience of wrecking 4 blanks should provide you with some intelligent questions - ie: how do I avoid this... what's a better way to do this step etc?

Buying and reading Hiscock's book, and spending a few days trawling the MIMF library and the build accounts on the main PG page will do you far more good than another poll on here.

Buying and reading Hiscock's book, and spending a few days trawling the MIMF library and the build accounts on the main PG page will do you far more good than another poll on here.

so,so true.

usually a poll such as this attracts only opinions from guys no more experienced than you,whilst the experienced guys tell you only to research and get cracking.

you don't need all of these new polls.what you need is to read the OLD topics on this forum.a week of solid reading starting from the very first page of this section should get you started.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ter=all&st=6345

start there and read backwards...you only need to read about 300 pages.any more than that and the experienced posting goes way down hill

2 of those neck blanks were wrecked due to my shop teacher thinking he knows what to do (heel got thin from him tapering the neck of the table saw.

i read the book "build your own electric guitar and bass" and found it pretty helpful.

but yeah you guys are right, the search button is always there for me and making new posts is just attracting people who know nothing trying to give me advice.

Commenting on the original question: It's a VERY bad idea in my opinion. Building and properly fretting a neck is quite difficult and to rival the quality of the B.C. Rich neck will need several completed necks. Not because that neck is so great, but because building a nice working neck is the most difficult aspect of building a guitar in my opinion. But if you want to do it for learning purposes....definately a good idea, although I recommend starting with a body....

ok, i will probably work on bodies more and get used to all that then move in to more complicated stuff.

i know ive been a burden on most of you guys, but iam really greatfull that you guys always are willing to help me out and i really appreciate that