Guitar Hardware Advise

Pott

For my guitar building project I was thinking about a one pickup soloist, with TOM. Of course that'd limit me for clean tones so maybe a piezo would work well? For the pup I'm very tempted about the DiMarzio dropsonic, and both coils will be selectable. It will only have a volume control and the piezo will just keep its standard controls. I was thinking about this one?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...ne-o-matic.html but they don't have black :D

The guitar will be a maple/ebony neckthru with Mahogany wings.

The piezo may be a bit expensive. In this case do you guys know of any low profile (to maybe not have to angle the neck down) TOM or wraparound bridges? Right now I have a non recessed Floyd and while I like the feel of it, angling a neck thru guitar neck may be a little hard for a first timer.

Maybe this TOM? http://store.guitarfetish.com/blviabstbrwi.html? Though the inserts seem not to be delivered with it...

Oh and I'm leaving in a few hours to Edinburgh where I'll be Internet less for a bit. I may try and go to an Internet cofee sometimes and pay a visit here. So yeah if you have any suggestions do it fast haha! It'll be hard to live a month without the Internet! So I say goodbye here just in case noone replies before I leave hehe... :D

I think I know how to do that. Either way I ordered the Hiscock book yesterday so it should be there tomorrow at my new flat when I arrive. I just was looking for an alternative to it.

I could go VERY 80s and install a recessed (ok, not so 80s after all) Floyd and a single angled humbucker...mhmmmmm... Seems like the easy way out really.

If you're dead set on a piezo, you might as well forget the Floyd. There are no aftermarket ones yet, and you'll be hard pressed to find a used Ibanez Double Edge.

If you don't need a locker, try Fishman or Baggs. They both make vintage and floating style piezo trems. I have a vintage style Baggs X-Bridge on one of my Strats and I like it a lot.

I think I know how to do that. Either way I ordered the Hiscock book yesterday so it should be there tomorrow at my new flat when I arrive. I just was looking for an alternative to it.

I could go VERY 80s and install a recessed (ok, not so 80s after all) Floyd and a single angled humbucker...mhmmmmm... Seems like the easy way out really.

Do the TOM if you can, angling the neck's just a case of gluing the body wings on a slant. Provided your neck stock thickness is high enough to allow for that extra depth it shouldn't be hard at all. It's like loads of things with guitar building - as long as you're careful, it's not as scary/difficult as it may seem.

Personally i like the way a recessed TOM looks! I found a nice way to find how much to recess it without a plan, too.

Go Here: http://www.tundraman.com/jigs/fretcalc/neckangle.cfm and in the "iIncrease In Top Height From Neck To Bridge" field, write a negative value that you think it could be, until you get 0 neck angle.

It comes down to about 1/2" or 3/4" for a TOM... (calculated with a 1 inch high bridge while they're closer to 3/4" though)

Though I don't have my bridge right now so i can't be COMPLETELY sure.