I Need A Little Help Guys

azriel

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I have build my first guitar yet. I'm in the process of buying tools right now and very much interested in build a strat copy. I have two great friends that build and I would love to surprise these guys with a great copy.

If anyone would be so kind as to lead me to a download or email me a copy of the strat plans I would greatly appreciate it. My email is azriel@atvci.net :D

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I have build my first guitar yet. I'm in the process of buying tools right now and very much interested in build a strat copy. I have two great friends that build and I would love to surprise these guys with a great copy.

If anyone would be so kind as to lead me to a download or email me a copy of the strat plans I would greatly appreciate it. My email is azriel@atvci.net  :D

I don't understand why anyone would want to build a copy of a strat. Strat bodies are ubiquitous.

+1.

I'm of the opinion (and its just that, an opinion!) that you only should built a guitar, if you do something different with it. Different kinda wood, different pups, different neck profile/shape, neck joint.....etc.

If you're just after a Strat type guitar, buy one or built one from parts. Check evil-bay and there are tons of "real" Fender type parts out there. Pick and choose.....assemble and you have your dream guitar.

If you wanna go to trouble of building guitar......for the experience, for the fun of it, or because you're a little bonkers like the rest of us......Do something special.

Pick more exclusive tonewoods, do something with the guitar......put AANJ in......different type of neck wood.......design your own bodyshape.

Why? Because building is more expensive then buying or assembling one from parts.

So why put all the money and effort in something that looks like your average $70 Mexican strat. Yeap, that's right....that's what Fender makes them for.

And if you're building one to impress your friends.......Don't. You're probably not able to impress them to begin with. You should express to them you like to build one yourself.....and have them help you out....with knowledge, tools, etc.

Just my $0.02

Edited by RGGR

Guys, how complicated were your first guitars? Using exclusive tonewoods on a first guitar? Adding AANJ? Seriously guys, did you guys do any of that on your first guitars? I haven't built my first one from scratch (more than a few parts guitars though), and I wouldn't do that either because it doesn't make sense for a first guitar unless you're already a really good woodworker and have done a lot of research.

Azriel, you'll need a template to get started. The best place to get one would be from http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/

And to see what it takes to build a strat from body blanks to finished instrument, check out the webpage of our own Matt Vinson (Guitarfrenzy) at http://www.guitarfrenzy.netfirms.com/Strat01.htm

And you need to expect that the guitar may be only mildly playable when you are done. Consider it a learning experience. I'm sure your friends will just be happy that you tried. I'm still getting up the courage (and tools) to try it myself.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

If he wants to build a strat, let him build one. Why? Because it's more fun than assembling, by a long shot. Buy or make templates, read Matt's excellent tutorial on strat building, and go for it!

I completely disagree that you should expect only a mildly playable guitar: thing things through, go slow, think about what you're doing, take your time, and read read read. You can make a complex guitar on your first shot, even without much prior woodworking experience. Worked for me, anyway. The later ones are better, but the first plays wonderfully, rock solid tuning, comfortable neck, no probs. I've seen plenty of more impressive first guitars than mine (mine: carved top semi-hollow set neck PRS type thing, after having assembled a warmoth strat, which taught me little to nothing about construction, but was fun anyway), generally from people with prior woodworking experience, but still. It's possible.

I completely disagree that you should expect only a mildly playable guitar: thing things through, go slow, think about what you're doing, take your time, and read read read. You can make a complex guitar on your first shot, even without much prior woodworking experience. Worked for me, anyway. The later ones are better, but the first plays wonderfully, rock solid tuning, comfortable neck, no probs. I've seen plenty of more impressive first guitars than mine (mine: carved top semi-hollow set neck PRS type thing, after having assembled a warmoth strat, which taught me little to nothing about construction, but was fun anyway), generally from people with prior woodworking experience, but still. It's possible.

There was a "may" in there. All I'm saying is that one should not expect for a first guitar to be perfect. And yes, some people have built some amazing first time guitars. Toddler68's comes to mind, and is the reason I joined this forum, but even that wasn't perfect (heel was miscalculated, and he covered that beautiful laminated neckthrough :D ).

There was a "may" in there.  All I'm saying is that one should not expect for a first guitar to be perfect.  And yes, some people have built some amazing first time guitars. 

Brian May comes to mind. He made ONE guitar and still plays it today. Period.

Brian May comes to mind.  He made ONE guitar and still plays it today. Period.

Did he make a strat? :D

Anyway, the way I look at, with all the work it takes to make a guitar, why make something so easy to find just about anywhere, and dirt cheap too?

And impressing your buddies never works anyway. Not since they had to hold you to keep you from tumbling into you own puke. I'll never forget the vision of my best friend writhing and weeping in his jockeys on the floor of his bathroom the night before his wedding (and just a short while after a pretty great bachelor's party). THAT guy can't do ANYTHING to impress me now.

I'll tell you what's tons of fun though, and a good way to get into building --modding. Take a strat body and start modding the crap out of it--do something wild with it, learn how to do a finish on it....you'll see, just doing a mod takes a lot of work...

I don't see a problem with building a strat. Its one of the most comfortable and esthetically pleasing guitars ever built and thats why the design has been so popular. You want to build a tried and true working man's guitar? then thats your business and don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise.

What form of plans are you looking for? You can buy full plans (blueprints with dimensions etc.) at MIMF (do a search) for 15 bucks. Do you use ACAD? If so then I could hook you up with another option. Most CAD drawings of guitars floating around are in actual scale so if you can get access to a plotter you can print out the tracings for future templates.

welcome to the show! :D

Edited by Southpa

An old geaser once told me.....you can restore a VW beetle or you can restore a 911 turbo......both will be the same amount of work,.......but with the Porsche you end-up with a higher value more desirable car.

I think the same goes for building a guitar. If.....I say...if......you want to go the building route.....do something special. It will be the same amount of work to build something special as it will be as doing a dime-a-dosen guitar.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know a Strat is your proven design..........but what is holding you back to improve on the design, improve on the tonewoods, improve on neck woods, improve on pups, and electronics.....

If you want you regular Alder type Strat........pick one up from the Music store, Ebay, whatever........it really can get any cheaper then that.

But if you build......build something nice.

As my grandfather always said.....Dream of Castles not toilets.

Build whatever makes you happy :D . You will learn a lot from your first build. Take your time and enjoy the process. Have fun thats what its all about.

Peace,Rich

Ditto.

RGGR and idch like building guitars that aren't common. It makes them happy. Build what makes YOU happy.

It will be the same amount of work to build something special as it will be as doing a dime-a-dosen guitar.

:D:DB)

...you forgot to mention that "same" means more if "special" means something like a jazz box and "dime-a-dozen" means something like a tele. Nicer guitars, more often than not, take more time.

I say build what makes you happy, but do not do it only if you're looking to impress anyone. You'll lose your motivation to fast if you're just trying to impress. You want to build a strat? Go for it, maybe after that you'll want to do something more unique. And as far as first guitars go, my first build is my main axe. I love the sound, and I love the feel.

peace,

russ

I think that if you are building a guitar to impress friends that have already built guitars, your chances of blowing them out of the water are pretty slim. Granted, you will appreciate what they do a little more, and they will - to an extent - appreciate your effort. But in the end, you need to build one for yourself.

It WILL be more expensive than buying a strat, even if you go as cheap as you can with components. I'm not trying to be high and mighty by any means though, my projects have all been centered around the strat design. It's comfortable and I like it, so I build what feels good.... Ya know.

The question raised about the quality of your first build is a good one. Even if 90% of the build goes perfect, that other 10% really makes a big difference in the overall quality of the instrument. In my mind the difficulty of building a specific model ( I.E. Stratocater, Les Paul, Paul Reed Smith, etc.) is irrelivent. We all like different things and our projects reflect that. However, you should definently get a good set of templates for whatever you decide to build. If you buy them it will improve the fit and finish of your guitar immensly. If you make them, it gives you the practice necessary to be able to finish your project with a sense of accomplishment in a job well done.

If you have done your research on building, and then bought a couple of books, and then done some more research, and still think you would like to have a go at building - THEN GO FOR IT BROTHER AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!

Nate Robinson :D

(Primal @ Sep 8 2005, 09:53 PM)

RGGR and idch like building guitars that aren't common.

Guilty! biggrin.gif

Yeah, Idch.....what's up with this strange taste. Why aren't you like the rest of them............ You couldn't be happy with just your regular strat, couldn't you???

Doesn't play well with others my mommy would have said. (had to throw the mommy comment in here.)

LOL!!!!

I still do stand my ground that if you go the building route.......build something you can't pic up on the net or in a store. Do something special.

The other day I was in guitar store, and I played the JS 1200 CA. And although my JS-7 is still in the works..........I still enjoyed the look and feel of my JS-7 over this decent Ibanez product made in Japan. I also know that my first try at building great instrument won't result in stellar instrument. This doesn't mean though that I'm not trying.

:D

Edited by RGGR

I still do stand my ground that if you go the building route.......build something you can't pic up on the net or in a store. Do something special.

And I still agree with you.

That said, a lot of these guys are pretty conservative...I mean, they're guitar players, after all.

Now, if they were singers like me, they'd be a bit more flamboyant.

Oh, and Mr. Churchyard, my first, uh, build, is in the trash--where it belongs! :D

It's down to taste, honestly. 'Conservative' doesn't mean 'bad', and 'Progressive' doesn't mean 'better' (when it comes to guitar design, that is). I would never buy or build myself a pointy metal guitar with a floyd, because they're just not my style. I also don't like most superstrats, with a few exceptions. They simply don't fit my style, my sense of aesthetics; ie, the things I like; I can appreciate if a pointy guitar of death is aesthetically balanced without liking it. Metal Matt's impaler comes to mind here; gorgeous design, but I'd never want one for myself.

This said, I don't really see how an all-access neck joint (less common than not having one, but still common), an Ibanez-style body shape, a monkey grip handle, change of pickups or wood (which you choose based on what tone you want, really), is particularly more 'original' than making a strat copy. There's a ton of room for a personal touch within fairly classic designs, small changes go a long way. I mean, heck, look at Drak's Telecasters for one option.

I'm building a strat and tele copy right now, the first more-or-less 'straight' copies I've built, because what I like about those isntruments is their simplicity, both visually and in terms of construction. I could have bought the parts, but it would have cost more (in materials, not time) than making the bodies. Necks, ditto. They're only cheaper than buying a ready-made strat if I ignore my time costs, and because I've already made the investment in the tools for the job.

More importantly, assembling a guitar, while a worthwhile endeavour (I've done both), is simply nowhere NEAR as satisfying, rewarding, or as much fun as building the instruments. I build because I love building, because I love creating something that is a musical tool as well as (I hope) an artistic object. Not because I wanted to save money. The thing itself has inherent beauty beyond utility, for me. Yeah, it's useless unless it plays and sounds and feels fantastic, but that's simply not enough. Sometimes beauty lies in simplicity (Tele), sometimes in something altogether more complexly formed (a finely-crafted carved top guitar). Each has its own charm. I think everyone develops their own sense of aesthetics, drawing from different sources.

Back to the point: a strat or tele is a good first project for anyone, because they're fairly simple to build, even from scratch. If you actually like strats or teles a lot, they're an EXCELLENT first project. If you don't like strats or teles, they're a great project to learn on, but a lousy project in terms of personal satisfaction. If your dream build is a Les Paul, by all means build a Les Paul instead of a Strat or Tele. Yes, it's harder, but it certainly isn't impossible. Build for yourself, for your own satisfaction, build carefully, but above all enjoy what you're doing.

I have the feeling I left a piece of myself in the guitar(s) I'm building.

The time spend being up and personal with that piece of wood. Transforming it from part of tree trunk into something that I can make music with. The process of coasting the pieces of wood into shapes and sizes I want it to have ........where nature talks to you along the way. Where the guitar is already in the wood......it's just my job to take away the chips.

Building guitar for me is very Zen like experience. Where process of building almost matters more then actual result. And as result of the process.....I think I owe it to the wood....and to myself and the time spend on it.....to make something special.

And the definition of "special" differs for everybody.

There have been many awesome examples of great Strat/Tele's builds on this board. Wonderfully executed examples of classic designs. Choices made not always being mine.......but that's the fun of building.......leaving piece of yourself in the guitar.

Being the captain on the ship....and not depending on ideas marketing department of the big Guitar companies out there.

Still stands...when someone tells me he likes to build a Strat (or even RG) copy.......I will always tell him to think about doing something with the design. Reseach the different options......nice drop top, other type tone woods, neck through....AANJ, different pup lay-out......different neck contour......etc, etc, etc.

But just your Car paint metallic Strat.......why bother building it. You probably can find one on every street....collecting dust in some closet.

Oh, and Mr. Churchyard, my first, uh, build, is in the trash--where it belongs! tongue.gif

Thats part of the reason it's good to start with strat it's something more simple and less expensive, many firsts go bad or have flaws that the builder can't stand. If you spent twice the money and spent twice the time building your first those flaws will seem worse. I think a simple proven design is a very smart way to go as a first, starting with a neckthrough tom with a carved top is just going to put too much riding on the builder, build wise and money wise especially if it going to go in the trash. And like mattia said little changes go a long way. Like I personally I am building a guitar that has the shape of a RG, although it is chambered with a quilted purpleheart back plate, a flamed maple top, and a fixed hipshot bridge just to name a few differences. So while the shape is the similar to a RG really not much else will be, especially the neck, the shape will be a tad different, but from afar it will be hard to tell the difference, also I most likely will have binding and a flat top, no arm rest.

So I think doing the strat is cool, it's more simple, cheaper, and will be done faster allowing you to start on your next one that can be whatever design you want considering you will now have a better idea of your skills and what you like personally. Anyways thats just my opinion, it's up to the person, if he wants to do a strat, do a strat, there is nothing wrong with doing what you want, plus you can build it to fit you personally like a custom strat, sometimes people like certain things and companies don't offer them, so when you build it yourself you can have those things. And I think your friends will be impressed, when you said that I felt that you weren't saying that your guitar would impress them by rivaling their builds, but just because you built a guitar and they didn't know that you started building. THats how I took it and I think they will be impressed and also be happy to show you some things to help with your next build. I think some people here took that the wrong way, I don't think he is trying to build a guitar that is going to be better than the guitars that they build, just that they had no idea he was building and all of a sudden he has a strat he built to show them. Jason