White Rosewood

A while back, someone posted pics of a guitar with a "white rosewood" fretboard. I asked here then and learned it is sapwood of regular rosewood, hence the quotes. How can I obtain something like that? Lumber companies would probably consider a piece like that junk, and it would never make it to market.

On a related note, lmii offers fretboards down to a "3rd grade". Any idea how much sapwood would be in these? (I also like the just some sapwood look, like on a gotm entry a couple of months back.)

Any other suggestions for wood type for a light colored fretboard that isn't maple?

I wouldn't be the one to ask but I remember wes asking llmi for a certain looking ebony board, he said it took a while but they ended up coming across one, so maybe call them and ask if they come across boards like that and if they would hold one for you if they find some. Also I see Gilmer has quite a few pieces of wood with part of it being sapwood, so maybe call them and see what they say. Only problem with Gilmer is you must buy $100 worth of wood at a time if you are getting to shipped(I think), so if you just need a fretboard that might not be what you want, although you could always buy the wood you need for your next project. Just a couple of thoughts for you. Good luck. Jason

I've been looking for this stuff for a while. It's not easy to come upon. I still haven't gotten my hands on any. I'm about ready to go to africa with a chain saw and get it myself.

:D:D

Hey grab me some while your there and maybe some nice blackwood too!

I've seen that one. It's a nice piece, but I know not all people on this board share those sentiments(silly, silly people). I've been told that the species of rosewood in africa yields the whitest sapwood. Somebody buy me a ticket to africa and a ski mask; I have 20" poulan(sp?) chainsaw. Think I could get a log through customs? hehe

EDIT:

my bad, my bad...that's brazilian rosewood sapwood. I stand corrected.

Edited by thegarehanman

African Rosewood

I just searched as well and most of them has it as bubinga, but this one didn't and it had the scientific name for it. It doesn't really look like bubinga and has some black in it like what Thorn had in his fretboard. I don't know now, most say bubinga but not all, so I will keep looking and see if I can find more, maybe I will look at the scientific names and see if they match or are similar, on the list of different names for african rosewood it has buvenga but I have no idea if that is supposed to be bubinga or not, sounds like it is, who knows. Either way both are found in africa so russ can grab us some while he is there. Jason

African Rosewood

I just searched as well and most of them has it as bubinga, but this one didn't and it had the scientific name for it.  It doesn't really look like bubinga and has some black in it like what Thorn had in his fretboard.  I don't know now, most say bubinga but not all, so I will keep looking and see if I can find more, maybe I will look at the scientific names and see if they match or are similar, on the list of different names for african rosewood it has buvenga but I have no idea if that is supposed to be bubinga or not, sounds like it is, who knows.  Either way both are found in africa so russ can grab us some while he is there.  Jason

Nope, that's Bubinga again. Weird picture of it (ie, bad), but Ghibourtia Demeusi and/or Coleosperma (and probably a couple of others) are known as Bubinga. Closely related: Amazaque/Ovangkol, Ghibourtia Ehie IIRC. It may be 'called' a rosewood, much like Pau Ferro is sometimes called 'Santos Rosewood' or 'Bolivian Rosewood', but a Rosewood it ain't. That thorn guitar is using Brazilian Rosewood sapwood.

All true rosewoods are of the Dalbergia species. BRW is Nigra, EIR is Latifolia, f'r the record. There are tons of others as well, some shurbs, several actual timber, including Stevensonii (I think that's Honduran), Melanoxylon (which is African Blackwood, on of the actual African Rosewoods), Baronii and/or Greveana (both Madagascar Rosewoods, the former generally being the one we talk about, I think, sometimes also known as 'Palisander Rosewood'. Also 'African Rosewoods', one might say). I'm no expert, so this list isn't exhaustive, but if it ain't a dalbergia, it ain't a rosewood. So, yeah, there are several true rosewoods from Africa, but Bubinga ain't one of them. As to finding sapwood big enough for a fingerboard, that's generally going to be a challenge. Finding some that hasn't been damaged by burrowing critters even more so. Also keep in mind that sapwood isn't always as durable or hard as the heartwood is.

The african mahoganies are, as I understand it, Khaya (Khaya Ivorensis, the 'main' African mahogany), Sapele and Sipo (both Entandrophragma genus species). Bubinga ain't it.

Edited by mattia

Any other suggestions for wood type for a light colored fretboard that isn't maple?

You might look into persimmon. It is a relative of ebony that is native to N America. Very hard and heavy.

persimmon pic

The black inclusions are somewhat random, usually in the middle of the tree, not hard to get a fingerboard size piece free of them if you don't like them.

Also, holly might be quite nice.

Edited by orgmorg

There is an Ebony that is called Pale Moon Ebony.....Sometimes called Mun Ebony. It is similar to Macassar but with a creamy white color and black marbling. It is very rare and the last time I was able to get my hands on it, this ebony sold for @$85bd/ft. I haven't seen any on the market for a few years, but I still have a piece big enough to make about 6 fretboards.

Scroll down the page for a pic!......These are fairly old photos. I have the board on the far right.....

http://www.righteouswoods.com/specials.html

GOOD GRAVY!!! Rich(fryovanni) found me some rosewood sapwood. He's got one more fretboard blank. You might want to contact him to see if he'll part with it.

Haha I had a feeling about that! :D Get some pics up when it arrives for you, is it mostly sapwood, all sapwood, or just a little sapwood? Man I bet it will look killer. :D

Mmmmm..... Gravy.

Yup, I found a piece of old stock Brazilian Rosewood. I got two white fretboards out of it and Russ took first pick. The blank that is still available is 24"+ long 2-3/4" wide- one side 100% white other side has about 5/8" worth of color on one edge. I placed a couple of pics up in a Yahoo folder Pictures.

The bottom fretboard in the pictures is spoken for. If you are interested in the other one let me know. Just shoot me a PM or Email.

Peace, Rich

MMmmmm.. sapwood.

Good stuff Rich! I'm sure it nots something that you come across often. I see cocobolo alot with sapwood, I really like that too. Thet are both rosewoods right? How close are the sapwoods of coco and brazilian? I don't know how wide the coco sapwood is commonly found in but I do see it more and more. Do you think the coco would work well in this situaton for these people that want the white look with a hint of color, as I have heard coco will darken with time, maybe it would be a good replacement in lack of brazilian sapwood. Just a thought. BTW that walnut is awsome stuff, I like the color a lot, along with the slight figure! Quick question what was with the limba vs. coco thing about? Grain?

I haven't done too much on my project as of late due to some health issues, it's been tough. I have though praticed my routing a lot and have a good feel for it, I was very worried about routing the purpleheart because of how tough it is, as well as brittle somewhat. But I have made some new templates for the chambers as the first ones were a little oversized. But I should have the routing of the chambers done this week/weekend, then I will get to bandsaw as soon as possible, then I think I will add the top and do the routing for the pickups, pots, ect. Later. Jason

MMmmmm..  sapwood.

Good stuff Rich! I'm sure it nots something that you come across often.  I see cocobolo alot with sapwood, I really like that too.  Thet are both rosewoods right? How close are the sapwoods of coco and brazilian? I don't know how wide the coco sapwood is commonly found in but I do see it more and more.  Do you think the coco would work well in this situaton for these people that want the white look with a hint of color, as I have heard coco will darken with time, maybe it would be a good replacement in lack of brazilian sapwood. Just a thought.  BTW that walnut is awsome stuff, I like the color a lot, along with the slight figure!  Quick question what was with the limba vs. coco thing about? Grain? 

I haven't done too much on my project as of late due to some health issues, it's been tough.  I have though praticed my routing a lot and have a good feel for it, I was very worried about routing the purpleheart because of how tough it is, as well as brittle somewhat. But I have made some new templates for the chambers as the first ones were a little oversized.  But I should have the routing of the chambers done this week/weekend, then I will get to bandsaw as soon as possible, then I think I will add the top and do the routing for the pickups, pots, ect.  Later. Jason

Jason,

Brazillian Rosewood is very different than Cocobolo. It has colors that range from purple to black, Cocobolo as you know ranges from red/orange to black. Cocobolo is very oily, Brazillian is not. They both have very nice tap tones, but different(I won't say one is better, just different). The sapwood of Cocobolo will yellow over time, Brazillian turns a creamy white (both are pretty much bright white when freshly sanded). As far as alternative sapwoods, I dunno(I thought Zircote sap in terms of color, but the grain is not the same). This was a special request from Russ and I was just lucky enough to happen across a piece that would work. Limba vs Coco, was nothing just a comparison of looks. Hope you are feeling better. I can't wait to see how you finish that figured Purpleheart.

Peace,Rich