Q About A Literally Blown Power Tube

Paul Marossy

Has anyone ever heard of a power tube literally blowing up (shattering) while the amp was being played? This has happened to someone I know, and I am at a loss as to why that could have happened. Could that happen if you had a runaway power tube?

actually yes i have seen it once. but it probally isnt why yours happened the guy had a transformer problem and somehow [i dont' knowhow ] he was getting mains on his power tubes and they quite literly shattered. as well as before went molten.

but he got a free amp out of the deal and never got shocked so hey kudos.

I recently bought a plexi re-issue marshall

Within three weeks:

Both power tubes, filter caps, and the transformer went. This sent a surge of power through to my speaker attenuator, and melted that too.

$750 for the repairs.

Ouch! Wow, did you get one built on a Friday, or is it something that happens a lot with that particular model?

My guess would be a faulty tube

I'm hoping it's something that simple.

When my dad's 60s sears amp went I took it to a local guy who replaced the fuse, power and preamp tubes and transformer, all for 100 bucks :S lol

so perry i take it you dont' need an amp any more since you dont' reply??? just asking. :D

:D yeah but i always have an extra Chasis lying around. right now i got three.