I'm buzzin !!

My lower strings are buzzing on pretty much every fret except maybe the first. What would be the first thing to look for? The upper (higher pitch) strings seem fine.

I have already adjusted the bridge up and down without much change. I did a quick truss rod adlust to make the neck bow away from my body, and set it back again after learning it did not help.

Thanks,

Dave

Is this a DIY guitar, parts project, or off the peg?

Is this a problem which has existed since you first bought/built/assembled the guitar?

If not, what has been changed recently?

Bolt or Set neck?

The solution will be different depending on your situation...

put your finget on the low e string at the first fret and the last fret then measure the gap between the string and top of the frets around the 10/12 fret. if their isnt enough space between them you need to relax the truss rod and get more forward bow in the neck. To me it just sounds like the action is too low on the bass side. the lower strings have a wider vibration area when picked. the Higher strings dont vibrate nearly as much

i'd say start with the nut, if u already made hudge adjustments to the brdige height and nothing really changed i'd say the bass side of the nut is a tad to low, then check the truss rod like scotty said, then adjust the height via the bridge..

i'd say start with the nut, if u already made hudge adjustments to the brdige height and nothing really changed i'd say the bass side of the nut is a tad to low, then check the truss rod like scotty said, then adjust the height via the bridge..

it's not the nut, his post said the strings buzz from the 1st fret on up, when a string is fretted the nut height doesn't matter one bit. in fact if you dont believe me, next time you string a guitar with a locking nut, take the nut off and string the low E, fret it at the first fret and pick it

Thank you Scott, I cannot believe how many hours the local guitar techs here spend changing nut height for buzzing on fretted notes!!!!!

Common sense tells you that ANYTHING behind the fretted note will not make a difference. The ONLY time the nut makes a difference to a fretted note is if it is so high that it overstretches the string when fretted causing it to go sharp.

As for the buzzing, I like to set up most necks to have between .006" to .012" of front bow when measured under the string like Scott mentioned. If you have recently changed strings to a lighter gauge, the truss rod will probably need to be loosened, if you have gone to a heavier gauge, you may need higher action. The heavier the string gauge the wider the vibration and the more chance for buzz. The bass side of the neck usually requires the action to be about 50% higher than the treble side because of the vibration of the lower string, ie: the high E might be 1mm, the Low E probably 1.5mm.

Of course, if none of that works, you may have a high fret, once you're past that high fret the buzz will go away, so once you've played with the action and truss rod, if it won't go away, check all the frets for a high one, it's possible one has popped.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Am I correct in assuming that a neck that bows away from the players body (front bow?) would normally prevent buzzing? I think LGM is basically saying that a front bow is usually desired and would help this type of problem?

When I set it to bow this way, should the string height stay uniform from low to high frets or should it change slightly as you move up the neck?

By the way - this is a new guitar that I just put together and not an old guitar with different guage strings. The frets look like they are well seated. I expected some buzzing but not on all frets. That's why I thought it was not a high fret but a neck position / bridge position problem.

Thanks again for helping out.

Dave

OK, I decided to try to level my frets and re-crown. I used one of those stewmac bars with the stick-on sand paper to do the leveling. I tried not to take of too much material but being the first time doing this, I had no idea what that really meant. I used a perm. marker to coat each fret and watched to see it dissapear as I worked.

How do you know when to stop leveling? I used a feeler guage (.004?) to see if any frets had a gap. When I could no longer slide it under, I stopped. This may not have worked for the inner strings though since I only checked the high and low E strings.

The end result is less buzzing. If I try, I can still get some buzzing randomly (mostly on the lower strings still).

Sorry to bother you all with this. If there's anything else you can share, I would really appreciate it. I have a feeling that I did not complete the leveling properly.

Dave

That's a good point. I am using 25.5 scale standard tuning but I have not installed the third spring yet (OFR bridge). I am currently using two springs. Would that have any affect on this?

Thanks Scott, I know my questions are probably driving people nuts. I'm so close to being able to use this thing that I've been pouring my heart into for so long - I just want to be sure I do the right thing at this point.

Dave

I have tried several truss rod adjustments and bridge adjustments. The bridge is a 10" radius and the fretboard was 10" when I bought it. It is possible that I sanded the fretboard down to the point where it is no longer 10", I'll look into it.

Thanks again - do you think the 3rd spring would have any affect?

I think I'm in good shape now. I did throw in the third spring but I'm not sure if that was responsible. I made sure the bridge was in a neutral position and tuned it up (took several passes). Then I adjusted the truss rod to get most of the buzz out of the lower frets and the bridge for the upper frets. After giving it a while, things started to sound and feel good. I compared it against my RG550 and noticed that it had some buzzing in it. These were all things that you guys suggested but I guess I wasn't doing them right earlier - or maybe out of order?

I guess from here, I will make small changes and not be so picky. If you disagree and think I should shoot for no buzzing at all, please let me know. The original problem does seem to have been fixed though.

Thanks so much to everyone for helping out.

Thanks Scott.

Dave