How To Work Past A Writing Block

Devon Headen

Recently I haven't been able to write anything even halfway decent. Actually I've barely been able to write at all. Just take my word for it, it's not for lack of subject matter, I have -TONS- of stuff to write about. I can't seem to get it out in lyrics though. Sometimes I have difficulty, but nothing like this. I've gotten a few pretty interesting music parts for the songs down, even a melody for one that I'm really digging, but still no lyrics. I've gotten about a half a page worth the last week, and it all sucks. I'm working on this at least two hours a day, so it's not for lack of effort. Anybody have any suggestions for getting some good lyrics going?

i'm not a lyricist, but the approach that I take with writing music is to never force it. i never sit down for 2 hours a day coming up with ideas.. that's forcing stuff.

in my experience, all my best stuff comes from random relaxed experimentation. i'd just play my guitar, and would randomly get an idea.. would work on it until i run out of inspiration, then i'd come back to it at another point.

perhaps you could try the same approach.

as far as i know, all musicians experience periods of unproductiveness. it is very annoying, but in my experience, brute force will never work.

so maybe go see some films, or go to an art gallery. or walk in the park, think about life, and ideas will come to you themselves.

a great philosopher once asked the question:

"what do a math problem and constipation have in common?"

with all of his wisdom and insight he answered that question

"you can work both out with a pencil."

...sorry, I'm in a lighthearted mood. :D

Edited by thegarehanman

Lyrics are tough. Even when you think they're brilliant, you look the next day and discover they're crap after all.

The secret is probably to write through the crap, because SOMEONE's bound to think it's brilliant. :D

Greg

Heh heh, I AM a writer...been in a writing block going on a bit more than a year now...life's (i.e., my little kids) just getting in the way ...that's why I'm busting my butt learning the guitar...

Anyway, you can't really force these things --but you can make it possible for it to come. The main thing is to relax and just accept what comes, if anything, and not get to hung up if you get nothing. There's always tomorrow.

When I'm writing lyrics, I'm usually listening closely to the melody --and especially the rhythm of that. I'll usually find a word or two that just work in certain spaces in the melody (I'm usually singing gibberish at first).

After a while I'll usually discover that those words are speaking about something going on elsewhere in my life...and then the words start to connect together. But ALWAYS in relation to their place in the rythmic structure of the melody.

That's the power of English--and why rock n' roll never sounds right in other languages. English is a really rhythmic language.

Whatever, by this point, I've got a couple/few words and I've got a vague idea of what I'm trying to say--and at that point, the rest of the song usually gets written in 5-10 minutes.

If it doesn't I do one of two things: I set it aside, or, I just repeat verse 1 for verse 3! :D

All that said, I NEVER listen to the meaning of lyrics, never really listen to the words themselves either. To me, the voice is just another lead instrument, like guitar or keyboards, it's the melody, rhythm and phrasing that count most of all.

And that's why most of the great rock n' roll songs speak of nothing more illuminating that gettng laid.