neck strength!

heya.. i have a question about my 'to be' bolt-on neck on my soon to be 6-string fender squire style! well i eventually found a big enough piece of maple for my neck... problem is its not quite quarter sawn (which you guys seem to recommend).. the plank is not quite flat sawn, not quite quarter sawn.. sort of diagonal sawn.. if you kno what i mean.

well i am a bit worried about this neck moving once i've got it all finished, cos i dont really kno if my maple is really stable... so anyways i've read a bit about having two truss rods in the neck.. would that help me?.. or am i just very lost? the other thing.. i could simply make the neck a bit fatter.. which i will probably do.. but will this solve my problem?.. or am i just worrying too much in the first place? :D

hmmm, I think that it would be alright to use, but I would for sure use a double truss-rod and even two strips of carbon fiber neck rods. Those c.f. rods aren't expensive either. You can get them for about $10 at Stemart-MacDonald.

If it was quartersawn .. would the need for the carbon fiber rod even be necessary? Just curious as to how much tension that would add... probably won't matter using the new double action truss rods.. since you can put pressure either way.. but looks like on a regular truss rod too much resistance would keep the neck from allowing any relief at all.. but just wondering...

Matt

the only reason I suggested using carbon fiber is because of the wood he has and the fact that I don't know how it will act. If if we're quarter-sawn I think the only reason you would have to use carbon fiber is if you live in the extremest of weather conditions or really small neck.

the carbon fibre rods are basically just extra assurance IMO that your neck will never twist or warp.maybe they are not necessary in some cases but on my next project i plan on making a neck thru out of korina(my own neck this time)and i will be putting the carbon fibre rods in as well as the truss rod.i think it is just a good idea.especially with exotic woods and thin necks.

just my opinion but a twisted neck is no fun.especially on a neck thru.better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't concern your self with neck reinforcement too much, most Fenders get along fine with flat sawn maple necks and single action trussrods. When using a relatively soft hardwood like mahogany or Limba (ie- Korina, see Wes's post) quarter sawn timber is pretty much essential, but with maple flat sawn is perfectly good.

Guest AlexVDL

Seewot, is it going to be a one piece neck, so no glued on fingerboard?

If so, a trussrod can't do anything against neck twisting, and I have seen alot, and I mean LOTS of one piece guitar necks that has twisted because of the wood grain being wrong.

I think it's not much effort to route a channel and glue in a carbon fibre rod, since it will protect your neck from twisting. Just like Wesley said; the carbon fibre rods are basically just extra assurance.

Almost all necks twist a little bit, because there simply is more tension at the low-E side than the high-E side. Usually if you check your neck for straightness while the guitar is strung and fully tuned, you will see that at the low E side the neck is more hollow than at the high E side. This usually causes necks to warp or twist, so I recommend always using reinforcement in one piece necks.

:D

yea its got a glued on fingerbpard.. or will have... well thats what i was thinking!

i seem to have a dilemma here anyways! and this is only the first problem i've hit.. this could take a while before its finished!! but if fender can get away with flat sawn then i suppose that would be easier for me. on the other hand, as alex says it probly isnt that much trouble to put in some carbon fibre. so jus however (lazy) i feel on the day i suppose :D

well thanks anyway everyone!

i'm kinda torn between utra protection against twisting and trying to leave as much wood as possible. i'm going go out on a limb here and say that a good maple neck with just a small one way truss rod is going to sound better then a neck with a bigger doulble action rod, and 2 carbon rods. I mean to me that's just removing to much wood from the neck, there's hardly any wood left for the tone to travel thru.. u might as well just buy one of those all carbon necks if ur so concerened about having a perfectly flat neck 24/7, though they are a bit pricey, they're probably dead on perfect all the time.