Rocket 350

Mickguard

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danm i want a danelectro 59 dc.....why did you have to play one Page, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY........ *mutters*

I love those Dano's too, but I just can't bring myself to buy one...the only Dano I've actually held was a reissue...talk about your cheap guitars. Price gets way too inflated, just for the brand name.

So, why not build my own, I figure? I already have a set of lipstick pickups...I even have a real Dano (reissue) neck here...but my version would be made of real wood.

But yeah, the latest logo is definitely inspired by the Danelectro logo.

why do u have a re-issue neck? whered u manage to pick that up from?

im really considering building a 59dc after i finish my VERY long on-going project with my lp.... but i just dont feel good about using a template that has been made by me... id have to get a dano dc and stick it on a slab of mdf and get a flush trim to make the template.....

you should make a dano.... so i can drool with envy even more over your guitars :D

:D

MG, that last one you posted (in #77) really does it for me too. Just kinda fits when I look at it next to a pic of your string-on mock up. But like you said, with the logo being on the cover you do up a few and change em out with your strings.

Nate Robinson :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You should be able to take a bit of wood of the back of the neck without any problems, I would take material mainly from the cheeks of the neck rather than directly behind the truss rod but thats because i carved through to a truss rod once (it aint something you do twice!!). And there should also be no problem with milling down the frets as long as you leave enough material to put a proper crown on them.

The 12 string idea is nice but you would need a solution to the tuner problem, i dont think you have enough room on that headstock and i dont think they would look great on the end of the body..

...Although!!!!!

....... Maybe you could carve the end of the body behind the bridge in a similar shape to a real rickenbacker, and route a ledge on the back of the guitar to mount tuners on (probably these if i was doing it steinberger tuners)

It might just look alright

heres a quick pick of what i mean, this would be a view from the end of the guitar, its about as complex as my computer drawing gets :D

1-1.jpg

I though adding the carve would be a good way to make it look like it was meant to be there rather than an afterthought

I didnt suggest the rick way because i thought it would be a bit difficult to pull off on a already completed headstock, it takes a lot of design work and carefull tuner choice to pull it off. The normal tuners are very close to the edge of the headstock because the channel for the other tuners dont leave much room. The headstock also needs to be a bit thicker than normal so there is enough room to fix tuners to its edge.

Also notice that the rickenbacker 12 string headstock has straighter edges than they normaly use or you already have on the guitar.

Its all possible, i would trim the headstock edges down and attach new ears so you could cut a straighter headstock shape. Fill in the old tuner holes and veneer the headstock till it was thick enough to take tuners on the side (although yours looks quite thick anyway). Then you would be at the stage where you could easily do the rick headstock, and it would look better (more fitting with the guitar style) than my original suggestion.

As for the frets, you can make them lower but you cant really make them any thinner, if you want to change the profile use a small triangle file rather than the wrong sized fret file, it gives you more control of the shape. Making them more pyramid in shape may make them feel thinner