Demon Wing Bass

basey

Well here's another iron in the fire. :D

This one is for Necro, the bassist for the blackmetal band Summon.

He wanted something along the lines of a bc rich warlock but custom with optical pickups and a narrow neck like the ibanez sg 4 strings.

I took the warlock shape and styled it more like the Summon's band logo.

The throughneck will be flamed hard maple and the body wings will be african mohagany.

th_transfered-pictures-002.jpg

This is my first "pointy" guitar build. So, any thoughts or pointers on the shape of this body will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well The Fat Kid is here for His Cookie! :D

Ok I really think you have A good Idea going But I think that the back Botom horn needs some Work! To tell ya the truth I dont think it should be there at all but that's me! I like the most of the botom and the basic shape but it;s needs more Flow to it!

Hey man If you want some Ideas or design help just PM me I would love to help if you need/want it :D I dont want to force my ideas on you by just reworking you design, I dont have that right but I would like to help

!!METAL MATT!! B)

theres some really intresting curves in there. i agree with matt, the bottom wing needs attention. but overall, its pretty badass.

also, does the bass player use a pick or his fingers? when i play with my fingers i have a tendancy to rest my forearm on the guitar. the highest point on your design looks a bit close to that "resting place". i dunno though, something to consider.

i can almost see it complete in a lovely gloss black :D

also, does the bass player use a pick or his fingers? when i play with my fingers i have a tendancy to rest my forearm on the guitar. the highest point on your design looks a bit close to that "resting place". i dunno though, something to consider.

i can almost see it complete in a lovely gloss black  :D

Yeah, he does play with his fingers. Thats another thing I've got to figure out.

Usually finger players rest there thumb on a pickup or something.

The pickups on this bass are in the bridge. It would be nice to incorporate a thumbrest into the design without it looking too obvious.

I'm going to dye it very dark black. with a gloss finish.

Why not make a little lip(thumbrest) from the same wood as the body and screw it to the body on the bass side of the strings. I think making it flat on the inside(stringside) and quarter round concave onthe outside(thumbside) would work out exceptionally well.

or instead of a lip, how about a little carve? same basic idea but instead of adding something onto the top, take a little off.

IMAG0027122MATTnew12.jpg

Ok I showed this Pic to Basey already! I just wanted to see what you guys think!

I think it could still use a bit more work to help it flow a bit more

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I think the front horns need more work and the botom spike I added needs some help

!!METAL MATT!! :D

No offense to Matt but I dont think his design works at all, first the bottom section he changed completely conflicts with the rest of the bass. All of the other lines are very round and flowing, then all of a sudden there is almost a 90 degree square that looks like it was just cut off a BC rich warlock and pasted to the rest of the body. It just doesnt look right. He does have the right idea about it being changed though. Just my 2 cents.

I would take the original design and work with it a bit more...

I changed the lower wing a bit to make the curves flow a little better.

th_mod2.jpg

?

In retrospect I think the bottom on the original looked a little complicated.

I'm glad Matt pointed it out, but I don't want to lose the "evil" look of it by making it too square looking.

Here, I kind of gave it a shot. I slimmed it down a bit to make it more sleek looking and pulled it some parts so it had a bit more movement. I removed that horn there in the middle. That thing really seems like it would be a pain in the ass on the for-arm.

bass.jpg

I really do love this shape, its is going to great looking guitar. For the lower rear horn I would go for some thing more curvy. So it blends with the upper rear horn. But that is me and its your baby. I look forward to seeing the finished guitar.

Good luck with the project and keep us all posted.

bass011.jpg

Edited by STAHLER