Inlay on carved top?

I need to cover up holes for a tune0matic and stopbar that were place incorrectly. The holes have been filled already and I was thinking about doing an inlay over it. Problem is I've already put a pretty serious carve on the top. How can I keep my inlay route flat. It's my first try at inlay and I was hoping to keep it one piece. I wanted to do it in a contrasting wood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to not have to paint the guitar since it is a swamp ash body with very nice grain. BTW I was planning on getting that little plastic router base for my dremel to do this. Is that a good idea?

depending on how big an inlay, u could lay ur guitar on a large flat surface and creat a roof for it, using a couple 2x4's and a sheet of a ¼" acrylic part of which would lay flat on the center of the guitar and the sides would be supported by 2x4's paneled down to the right thickness, that would give u ur level surface?

Yes, but as you set the router depth at one point, as soon as you start moving over the carved top, the depth setting will need to be changed...

Wouldn't it be better to use a Dremel with a router base, directly on the body?

At least that will follow the contour of the body, somewhat........

thanks for the advice. I think I would want the rout to be flat that way I can lay in the inlay that is much more that the depth of the rout and sand it flush. Do you guys think this is the best option?

that plastic router base sucks.i have nothing but trouble with mine.stewmac has a much better onehere

if u have one that has an open circle on the bottom, just try cutting out a circle of plexi glass and use some glue or double sidded tape to attach it to the bottom, voila, cheap inexpensive dremel base.

thanks for the advice. I think I would want the rout to be flat that way I can lay in the inlay that is much more that the depth of the rout and sand it flush. Do you guys think this is the best option?

yes, doing a flat inlay (idealy before carving) is probably the best way to go. if u rout the section to the contour of the top of the guitar ur going to run into problems,depending on how wavy ur contour is, trying to get the inlay to fit in the holes correctly (ie - angles on the sides, and the curve in the depth) a flat one will allow u to just drop ur inlay in and then u just have to level it with the rest of the carve on the guitar.