I Hate Binding....

Well, im working on my fretboard today sanding it, get it up to 2000 griit (where it starts to shine :D) and what happens the edge of my binding at the end of the 24th fret (it had a little edge on it that didnt get cut off yet) caught the shorts and ripped it off the end of the fretboard, omg im so frustrated, the edges of these fretboards have given my so much crap. So here is what im think, having binding just along the sides of the fretboards and not at the end, ive never seen it done and it think it could be something original, but im wondering if anyone else has done/seen it done like this before, either that or i have to reglue the binding and start over again....... im thinking leave it off cause it would look kinda cool (least to me) and original..

BTW: Wood or plastic binding?

It's possible if it was plastic you used the wrong glue. Obviously use Titbond or the like if it's wood, for plastic I learned regular superglue works great.

And when you're gluing, you're doing just bit by bit along the neck or around the body, right? It's not like you're laying down a line of glue first?

I've observed a luthier doing the whole side of a fingerboard in one shot. Just shoot a bead down the strip of binding and slap on the 'board. I've also done it this way, just work quick. :D For a body, though, you'd have to do one small are at a time. I bound a body once with plastic binding but I don't remeber exactly how I did it, most likely one bit at a time.

I've only bound one fretboard in wood (curly maple), and I used CA for that too - worked a treat :D

Idch - I tape the binding in place (nice and tight, no gaps, pre-bent to any curves), then wick glue in by placing a drop at the joint line. It gets sucked right in. Once you've glued as much as you can, pull off the tape and drop the CA in where the tape prevented you. Scrape flush - et voila!

I used CA as well, but i would recommend the gel type that sets in 30 seconds, i used regular CA on a preslotted fretboard, and while it worked great, the CA got into the slots and i had to spend a LOT of time with an x acto blade and nail polish remover very carefully to remove the CA from the fret slots but not detach the binding and damage it because nail polish remover attacks binding :D

I was using stewmacs glue...... i know ive heard mixed responses but i bought some and decided to try, well after this project its going in the garbage lol. I ended up taking off the back to both fretboards, i like the look of it i think it looks cool and some what original, i will post pics later, i have to fix an led... I got the whole fretboard sanded with 2000, lit it up and found out an led had died in the process.... now i get to pull it out replace it and do a lot of resanding lol i will get some pics asap. btw it was a pearloid binding and a white plastic.

I use medium thickness CA on all the fretboards I bind. The thin stuff gets EVERYWHERE, including the slots (the medium stuff gets in there a little as well, but it's quicker to clean out). I just prep a bunch of strips of masking tape, apply glue to the edge of the fingerboard (so I can avoid the fret slots) straight from the bottle, affix binding, and tape it in place. Quick, painless, none too stressful.

I also mitre all the bits of binding that go on the end of my fingerboard (which is quite often curved, not straight), which means there's nothing really sticking out to catch and rip off the binding.

I have to say that the one time it did just 'rip off' was when I glued it down with titebond. I waited a full 24 hours, but it simply popped off. I blame it on the end-grain gluing surface, and the titebond getting sucked up into it or something. The same joint with medium superglue gave me no trouble at all, so I'm sticking with good 'ol CA for end of fingerboard bindings, be they wood or plastic. I'm thinking of trying titebond for body binding (wood) next time, simply because CA is so darn messy (I use water-thin kind and wick it in for body binding).

Idch: I repeat: Ya big weirdo! ;-)

Seriously though, on a strat-type guitar, neck binding (and headstock binding, on most 6-string pull designs) does not look pretty. On a proper strat, it's downright nasty unless you do the 'invisible binding' trick (saw off the edge of the board, slot, glue back on, leaving you with perfectly clean, slot-less edges). Not a fan for bolt-ons in general. For (carved top) set necks, it's great. For neck throughs, well, depends on the rest of the design.

Guitarfrenzy: I've seen one person mention it, and say it wasn't much fun at all. Given that epoxy's a bit of a pain to mix, bit of a pain to clean up, I'd rather 'just' use Superglue.