Refinishing The Unrefinishable?

i left all my gear, minus one guitar, at my home for hurricane katrina. I wanted to know if there was any way to refinish and rebuild them. Here are some pics:

http://members.cox.net/mack10series/epiphone.jpg

http://members.cox.net/mack10series/ibanez.jpg

here are the picture posting rules.

I really want to clean up and rebuild the explorer; i was thinking of sanding all of the finish off to the bare wood and going from there. Would there be any way that i could convert it to a bolt-on neck guitar? Does anyone have any ideas of how to clean it after i sand it down?

Edited by Kevan

sorry for your loss man..as far as re-building them goes it depends entirely on whether the bodies dry out close to right or if they swell up and explode. you can pretty much count on having to re-do most if not all of the electronics and i'd be surprised if the necks are useable.

i'd remove everything from the bodies and then let them dry out for several weeks before you do anything.

as far as how to do it use the search function at the top of the page and you'll find many posts on the subject. go to the tutorial page and you'll find even more information. after you've read all of that you'll have a better idea of what you're dealing with and whether or not it's worth your while.

good luck to you.

From what Icansee, the explorer looks to have separated pretty cleanly - I'd be tempted to clean up as much as possible, give everything *plenty* of time to dry and do what it's going to do, then reassemble, and see how things fit without glue. At that point get back to us.

Oh, and all the best to you and your's - it looks like your home has taken a nasty beating, just be thankful you're in one piece, the rest can be replaced.

man, if i were you, i'd keep the guitars the way they are...testament to the strength of the axes

obviously, you'd have to redo the electronics, and reglue the fretboard back onto the neck of the second guitar, but otherwise, i'd let the guitars dry out for a looong time, and toss everything back together...make it sort of a EDITTED you to Katrina...

Edited by rhoads56

man, if i were you, i'd keep the guitars the way they are...testament to the strength of the axes

obviously, you'd have to redo the electronics, and reglue the fretboard back onto the neck of the second guitar, but otherwise, i'd let the guitars dry out for a looong time, and toss everything back together...make it sort of a EDITTED you to Katrina...

yea EDITTED katrina is going to be my theme for the new paint job, but i didnt really like the neck in the first place, so this will hopefully give me a chance to get a warmoth.

Edited by rhoads56