Quilted Maple In The Uk

I've decided to only build the body for my first guitar, possibly an ESP F shape, and would like to do a deep red quilted maple (I love red quilt) top if that's even possible on the F shape. After looking through ebay it seems all the people selling quilted/flamed maple are in the US, while I don't mind buying something and getting it shipped I would prefer to buy something a little more local.

So I looked at craft-supplies, on their catalogue they have 3/8" bookmatched:

WMS249A Maple (Flamed) - 3A : £37.50

WMS249B Maple (Flamed) - 4A : £50.68

WMS249C Maple (Flamed) - 5A : £66.80

WMS244A Maple (Quilted) - 3A : £37.50

WMS244B Maple (Quilted) - 4A : £50.68

WMS244C Maple (Quilted) - 5A : £66.80

Now first I would like to know if someone has some examples of the difference between 3A/4A/5A and with this being my first project would I really notice the quality difference between 3A and 5A.

Now onto price, what would you pay for a bookmatched quilted maple 3/8" top, the prices from craft-supplies seem a bit much compared to what I've seen on ebay in the US.

Third and Final question, has anyone here bought top-wood from craft-supplies, would you say it's worth it, and was the quality as expected?

Thanks for any help :D

Note: I tried searching for this but there's so many posts mentioning Quilted Maple I couldn't find what I wanted.

Talk to them first, but be aware that it's really quite possible that Craft Supplies won't have what you're looking for in stock. Wouldn't be the first time, and I for one wouldn't but a huge amount of stock into trusting their grading schemes. They're not the best of companies when it comes to quality control of tonewoods, judging from what I've heard.

For quilt, quite honestly, I'd look at US (eBay) sellers, or check with Dave Dyke to see if he has any.

I've decided to only build the body for my first guitar, possibly an ESP F shape, and would like to do a deep red quilted maple (I love red quilt) top if that's even possible on the F shape. After looking through ebay it seems all the people selling quilted/flamed maple are in the US, while I don't mind buying something and getting it shipped I would prefer to buy something a little more local.

So I looked at craft-supplies, on their catalogue they have 3/8" bookmatched:

WMS249A Maple (Flamed) - 3A : £37.50

WMS249B Maple (Flamed) - 4A : £50.68

WMS249C Maple (Flamed) - 5A : £66.80

WMS244A Maple (Quilted) - 3A : £37.50

WMS244B Maple (Quilted) - 4A : £50.68

WMS244C Maple (Quilted) - 5A : £66.80

Now first I would like to know if someone has some examples of the difference between 3A/4A/5A and with this being my first project would I really notice the quality difference between 3A and 5A.

Now onto price, what would you pay for a bookmatched quilted maple 3/8" top, the prices from craft-supplies seem a bit much compared to what I've seen on ebay in the US.

Third and Final question, has anyone here bought top-wood from craft-supplies, would you say it's worth it, and was the quality as expected?

Thanks for any help :D

Note: I tried searching for this but there's so many posts mentioning Quilted Maple I couldn't find what I wanted.

I've ordered both a 3A Flame top and a 4A flame top from CS. You definitely notice the difference between them. In my mind I will never buy under a 4A again from them. Craft Supplies' quality control is notoriously patchy, and the 3A I got had pretty minimal flame to be honest. When I bought the 4A though, the difference was immediately visible. It had regular flame across the entire surface, where the 3A was patchy at best.

Seriously, for £13 extra, it's more than worth the investment.

Try this topic that Mattia Posted-Suppliers

It is tuff to clearly define figured wood as 3a, 4a, 5a and or "musical" or "master" grade. It will really depend on how the seller interprets the standard. I highly recommend you look at the set befor you buy. It is not a bad idea to ask for a picture of both sides. Be sure the top set is sanded and surfaced properly also. If you purchase a set that is 1/4" surfaced one side count on losing some material to surface the second side(can be hard to say how much). As far as the price. When you get into clear(no knots or flaws) and clean(no color) highly(strong figure throughout the board) and evenly(conscistent throughout the sets surface) figured sets. Your price will go up quickly(a lot of the time a really nice vs a really really nice set may be $100 more). I have found most companys don't Ebay the best of the best if they are a retailer. Ebay has a few very nice pieces, and a pile of lesser grade material. What is important is that you choose the piece visually, if you get price jabbed it will probably be because it was a lesser grade board purchased as a high grade piece. Remeber if you are paying high shipping get a great piece that is what you want. It wouldn't make much sense to try to save $10 for a kinda nice set(as opposed to a great set) when you are paying high shipping cost.

Peace,Rich

These qualifications are not set in stone. Some people will try to pass on their 3A maple as 5A. In general the more lusterious wavery type of quilt will qualify as 5A. Personally I wouldn't buy piece without having serious look at it. The sellers on ebay normally present their woods properly so you can make a good judgement.

When I was on the look-out for the quilted top I used for my project, I spend quite a while finding the right piece. (and having found the right piece, you still have to make sure you win the auction.) I was fairly picky....and that sometimes means you have to spend a little more time.

You do realise that red quilt in picture is created with wood dye. So you want to be on the look out for nice evenly colored piece.

Edited by RGGR

To be honest, i wouldn't bother with Craft supplies maple. Only bother if you can get to buxton and choose a set. Don't trust them to send you a good set. I'm in the nice position that my gran lives literally next door to the place so i can pop in when we visit her. But for seeing what you get, check out durawoods/3dhardwoods. You see what you get, and if you ask him just to saw the wood to what size you want and do nothing else to it (ie rough sawn lumber) theres no import tax either. And it'll probably be cheaper than Craft supplies. I got two tops (probably about 3A) for $115 including P&P. They were 1/2" thick too rather than 3/8". If my maths is right, thats nearly half the price of Craft supplies thinner maple :D

:D

I bought a bookmatched 4a quilted maple cap from craft-supplies a good while ago. It was more or less the only piece they actually had in stock at the time, and it has two small cracks near the side in it (which I was told about on the phone, and given a discount) before I actually placed the order. Now i'm no expert, so I don't know if the figure on it qualifies as 4a, but it is a very nice piece of wood, which I will be using for a guitar at some point.

Their customer service and delivery times are fine, the woods you're sent can vary slightly, but i've never yet recieved anything I've been unhappy with.

That said, if you can get to a lumber yard, or are happy to order from any of the other aformentioned places, give them a try first. Craft supplies is not the cheapest, or the best place to be buying wood from.

Edited by S.Dodding

I for one would not take a chance with mail order from CS, i've only done it once and was underwhelmed to say the least. I'm sure i saw a post from someone a year or so ago that said that the bookmatched set he got from them wasn't thickness sanded and each half was a different thickness. Personally i'd try to go somewhere where you could choose the peice or if there's no one near to you i'd trust David Dyke's for mail order - more expensive but you'll be assured of the quality.

Jem

I with Sambo on this one. The missus family is in Buxton, so I get to go in and choose a piece, I think that I'd do this with any wood that I'll buy.

You could try David Dyke, it's expensive but you get what you pay for. I always view David Dyke as where to go if you need pro quality stuff, Craft Supplies as good for the money.

If it's your first project, I'd seriously reconsider using 4A quilt. But then again, I did so I'm not one to listen to :D