Faq - Frequently Asked Questions!

TGwaH

If you want, (and with a bit of help with finding info) I could make a rather simple computer program that -

1. - Can be searched to find specific words/phrases

2. - Explains/describes common acronyms and/or techniques

3. - Is avaliable to everyone to use

I find it a bit of a pain when I have to stop working to double check that what I'm doing is correct. If I wrote this program it would not only save myself lots of time, but I'm sure that it will help others aswell.

So how about it? Anyone interested?

if you started up a thread where everyone could put up allll the questiobn sthat they still dont understand, or the questions they didnt understand when the started off. then make it so that any body can post up an answer to these questions so that you can get a decent summary of one question, looked at from every angle by a couple of different people.

if you started up a thread where everyone could put up allll the questiobn sthat they still dont understand, or the questions they didnt understand when the started off. then make it so that any body can post up an answer to  these questions so that you can get a decent summary of one question, looked at from every angle by a couple of different people.

Is that basically not what happens now...

Someone asks a question on the board, people come in an answer, perhaps with different views... and move on...

Same principles as this FAQ just spread apart... hence why we use the search system :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

if you started up a thread where everyone could put up allll the questiobn sthat they still dont understand, or the questions they didnt understand when the started off. then make it so that any body can post up an answer to  these questions so that you can get a decent summary of one question, looked at from every angle by a couple of different people.

that sounds like a forum to me :D

• 1 month later...

I've got an update. Admittedly this is rough, and obviously there is no HTML code inserted yet, but I just wanted to give you guys an idea of where I'm at and what's going on. There is of course much, MUCH more information to be added. And as I was doing this, it became not so much a traditional FAQ, but more a list of definitions. So, if someone wondered what a truss rod was, they click on 'T' and it takes them to all the enteries under T.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

A

AANJ -- all access neck joint

B

Books – There are a handful of books with will prove to be well worth their weight in gold. Not all of these books are necessary, but you’d be well advised to spend a few dollars and get at least one of them:

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock ISBN: 0953104907

The Luthiers Handbook by Roger Siminoff ISBN: 0634014684

Building Electric Guitars by Martin Koch ISBN: 3901314075

Steel String Guitar Construction by Irving Sloane ISBN: 0933224168

Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology by William Cumpiano and Jonathan Natelson ISBN: 0811806405

C

CA – cyanoacrylates. A chemical adhesive. [tradenames: Hot Stuff, Zap, Crazy Glue, etc.]

D

E

Electronics – A list of some of the more common guitar electronics short hand.

H/H} When talking about pickup configuration

S/S} S denotes single coil,

S/S/S} H denotes humbucker.

H/S/S} The first letter is the pickup nearest the bridge.

dpdt double pole double throw}

spdt single pole double throw } types of switches

spst single pole single throw }

F

G

Guitar – You’re kidding right? Put down that router, slap yourself in the face and go find yourself a dictionary and a music store.

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

PUP – Short hand for Pick UP.

Pick Up -- device acts as a detector and captures mechanical vibrations. Some common types of pick ups include: single coil, humbuckers, P-90s and PAF.

Q

R

S

Scale Length – The distance between a guitar’s nut or zero fret and the bridge’s saddle. This can have profound effects on the tone and tuning stability of a guitar. The twelfth fret will lay equidistant between the saddle and the nut.

Common Scale Lengths:

Fender

Jaguar -- 24" or 609.6mm

Strat/Tele -- 25 1/2" or 647.7 mm

Jazz Bass -- 34" or 863.6 mm

Gibson

Byrdland -- 23 1/2" or 596.9 mm

Les Paul -- 24 9/16" or 623.888 mm

PRS

Santana -- 24.5" or 622.3 mm

Tremonti -- 25" or 635.0 mm

Supplies – (insert link from main page)

T

Truss Rod – INSERT DEFINTION FROM BOOK

Tools – Tools need not be overly expensive and expansive, but some of the basic tools you will need to make a guitar are as follows:

INSERT LIST OF TOOLS

U

V

W

X

Y

Z